How to translate (obsolete)

Help make Linux Mint support your language.
Forum rules
No support questions here please

How to translate (obsolete)

Postby clem on Wed May 06, 2009 9:59 am

Edit: Launchpad is now used for translations: https://translations.launchpad.net/linuxmint. Instructions below are now obsolete.

To translate a particular Mint tool:

- Reply to the appropriate thread,
- Indicate which language you're translating in,
- Copy the first translation (which is in French),
- For each sentence, keep the "msgid" line as it is, and on the "msgstr" line, replace the French translation with a translation in your own language.

Example: Translating mintSystem in Spanish

- Reply to viewtopic.php?f=162&t=25449
- Copy the first translation:

Language: French
msgid "Please enter your password"
msgstr "Veuillez saisir votre mot de passe"

- Inidicate that the language is Spanish and translate the content.. your reply should look like this:

Language: Spanish
msgid "Please enter your password"
msgstr "Su password por favor?"

Note: Look, about my Spanish... and how incorrect it is.. I mean, that's just an example :)

Questions go below. Don't hesitate to ask.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to translate

Postby redfalcon on Wed May 06, 2009 2:11 pm

(For German:)
I'm not sure if with "your" the formal adress for someone you respect (third person singular) or the adress for a buddy (second person singular) is meant. What should we use?
redfalcon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby constantinos692 on Wed May 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Clem
first of all I am a newbie but I believe that the new release is fantastic. All these years I prefer to use English versions of all the distributions and operating systems because I didn't like the translations. They are translated in a way that do not help the user that speak English (at list the Greek ones). I tried to help with the translations by translating in Greek. although, I found out that there already exist an other translation for some of them that I really haven't tried yet. If I find suggestions about my or the existing translation, in order to do it better, how can we give these in the future before or after the stable release?
constantinos692
Level 1
Level 1

Postby diego1188 on Thu May 07, 2009 12:34 pm

ITALIAN TRANSLATORS, please also read here: http://linuxmint-italia.org/forum/index ... pic=1132.0
so that we don't translate the same mint tool twice. :wink:
diego1188
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clem on Fri May 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Redfalcon: Check what other Gnome apps say... for instance when a root application wants "you" to enter "your" password. I would follow the same convention.

constantinos692: Well.. the process we're using right now is fast and efficient to get things done quickly but it is really bad to accommodate reviews, discussions between translators and re-use of the previous translations. We also tend to translate and update the tools by bunch... usually for a particular release, and that's not good either. We should be moving towards Launchpad for that and update the tools on a regular basis... we're a small team and so I didn't want to add any overhead yet, but it's definitely something we need to improve in the future.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby redfalcon on Sat May 09, 2009 6:39 am

clem wrote:Redfalcon: Check what other Gnome apps say... for instance when a root application wants "you" to enter "your" password. I would follow the same convention.

Allright, its the more formal one. I have changed it in my translations.
redfalcon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kvaju on Sat May 09, 2009 9:10 am

Maybe a stupid question but I've transladet mintInstall to Croatian is this all? (for this app I mean) .
If this is all for one app this is easy :D or do I have to do something else?
kvaju
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Sat May 09, 2009 10:43 am

yes, kvaju, that is all for mintInstall, so yes, the translation process is quite easy, provided you know another language!
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby npap on Tue May 12, 2009 3:10 pm

constantinos692 wrote:Clem
first of all I am a newbie but I believe that the new release is fantastic. All these years I prefer to use English versions of all the distributions and operating systems because I didn't like the translations. They are translated in a way that do not help the user that speak English (at list the Greek ones). I tried to help with the translations by translating in Greek. although, I found out that there already exist an other translation for some of them that I really haven't tried yet. If I find suggestions about my or the existing translation, in order to do it better, how can we give these in the future before or after the stable release?

Hello constantinos692,
I agree with you as far as translations are concerned. English can not be translated word for word in Greek.
Allow me, please, to make a correction on the word "release" which in Greek has many different meanings.
"Release notes' would be more logical to be translated as " Σημειώσεις σχετικά με την έκδοση "
Please view the link below:

viewtopic.php?p=148759#p148759

Welcome to the forum Constantinos692". Best wishes.
npap

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby fotono on Wed May 13, 2009 3:29 pm

For Japanese version of mintWelcome.
What is the difference among "Contribute to Linux Mint", "Become a sponsor" and "Make a donation"?
fotono
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed May 13, 2009 6:14 pm

fotono: Click on the different links and have a look at the pages it shows. To launch the application you can simply type "mintwelcome" in a terminal.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Xtigyro on Wed May 13, 2009 6:31 pm

If there is a mistake in the translation (which is not done by me), what i should do to fix it?
Unless we explore, experiment and discover, we are only following the crowd.
Xtigyro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed May 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Post a new translation further down the thread. If the author indicates he's aware of the previous translations and posts a new one, his translation is used.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby abhilashkumar on Thu May 14, 2009 11:47 am

My question is this:

While translating technical text to Hindi, like the case here, should I use the less prevalent words or should I just use the phonetic representations in HIndi. For example, for URL I can use a long and lesser known (and probably never used) translation or I can just say U R L phonetically and write it out in Hindi.

I think that the people who might be using the Hindi version will not really be aware of these word and that it might be better to simply use the language as we do in general conversation. However, going by the existing translations, all I can say is that no-one I know, speaks Hindi like that. Everyone is aware of the usual technical words like URL, FTP, Backup, Upload, Download, etc etc... and they also use them in general conversation even if they don't know English.

So should I change the 2 or 3 translations that I have done and make them more generic or should I look real hard for words that are used very little and translate the rest of the things. Frankly I am not quite comfortable with the current translations. I wouldn't use them!
abhilashkumar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Thu May 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Hi,

Place yourself as an Hindi user and think of what you'd like to see written. If most Hindi say "URL" then it should be URL... you can even use the latin alphabet for the acronym if that's how people do.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby abhilashkumar on Thu May 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Hmm... some redo in the translations will be needed then... :D
abhilashkumar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby constantinos692 on Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 pm

npap wrote:
constantinos692 wrote:Clem

Hello constantinos692,
I agree with you as far as translations are concerned. English can not be translated word for word in Greek.
Allow me, please, to make a correction on the word "release" which in Greek has many different meanings.
"Release notes' would be more logical to be translated as " Σημειώσεις σχετικά με την έκδοση "
Please view the link below:

viewtopic.php?p=148759#p148759

Welcome to the forum Constantinos692". Best wishes.
npap

Thank you for your correction. In order to make something nice, please check my translations and give me more ones
constantinos692
Level 1
Level 1

Postby constantinos692 on Fri May 15, 2009 4:08 pm

Clem
With the help of xadros, nonis, la_monda and npap we have corrected a few times the Greek translation. They e-mail me corrections at my posts and I correct them. Till now we have edited several times the posted translations in order to do it the better we can. Because I do not know the way that you include the translation at the stable release, when we firstly post it or at the end of the process, I hope that this on going changes do not make your work difficult. I believe that now we are almost at the end of the corrections. I hope that you will post the end of the process and you will use the final translation.
Constantinos
constantinos692
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri May 15, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi,

I usually go for the latest translations available for a particular language. When I include translations for a tool I always post a notice in the translation thread. It's for me, also, to keep track of what's been added, and what's remaining.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby constantinos692 on Sun May 17, 2009 4:49 pm

clem wrote:Hi,

I usually go for the latest translations available for a particular language. When I include translations for a tool I always post a notice in the translation thread. It's for me, also, to keep track of what's been added, and what's remaining.

Clem.

Clem
I know that this keep your work back, but I keep receiveing mails from friends that beleive that we need to correct the translation. Since this is a team work for us, I have to edit the posts a they want. I am not going to do any more corrections and I hope that you will use the last one. Thank you.
constantinos692
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Translations