XP Support About to End

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
TechGuyAndrew

XP Support About to End

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

With Microsoft set to only offer updates one more time in March for Windows XP, I think that now would be a good time for Mint to run ads like Google Adwords and such. I realize that Mint is on a very tight budget, so maybe users could help out with the cost. It doesn't cost that much for adwords. We should use keywords like "end of xp support" and "xp lifecycle" etc. Anyways, this was just a thought I had just now.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: XP Support About to End

Post by xenopeek »

There are several users here that either have their own computer support business, or sell (refurbished) computers. Some of them have reached out to their customers that are on Windows XP, offering to move them to Linux Mint. I think that's the better way to go around this, as the average computer user will not feel confident enough to install an operating system themselves. They didn't install Windows XP either :wink: Computer users that are comfortable enough to install other operating systems will find their ways to Linux Mint not based on ads I think.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

point out that XP won't crash & burn in April. :o

- keep the A/V updated
- don't do any important stuff, like banking, etc.

- it'll work until the H/W crashes, which may be years away.
- don't believe the sales rep, who just wants to sell you a new PC .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
TechGuyAndrew

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

xenopeek wrote:Computer users that are comfortable enough to install other operating systems will find their ways to Linux Mint not based on ads I think.
Okay, I guess you are right. A tech savy user would know where to look. Adwords were just a quick thought I had, but I didn't really think about the non-techie people. As I have mentioned in a few other topics, I myself run a computer support business and selling/donating refurbished computers with Mint pre-installed is something I am looking at doing.
Pierre wrote:point out that XP won't crash & burn in April.
Yes, but software developers will stop developing/supporting software for it.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Pierre wrote:point out that XP won't crash & burn in April. :o
Finally, someone else has said it.

Everyone acts like it's just going to stop working or self-implode.
AndrewWatkins wrote:Yes, but software developers will stop developing/supporting software for it.
They already have.
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

Pierre wrote:point out that XP won't crash & burn in April. :o
Fair enough, but it's worthwhile to point out that XP is on track to become the Windows 98 of this era. That is to say; it's likely there will be a large number of people using XP for a long time to come. Eventually these machines will be riddled with security vulnerabilities. I think we'd all like to avoid that happening.
Pierre wrote:- keep the A/V updated
Always good advice.
Pierre wrote:- don't do any important stuff, like banking, etc.
Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose of having an older computer. I mean unless you're playing solitaire/retro games there really isn't a whole lot of things to do on an older computer besides browsing Facebook and doing your banking.
Pierre wrote:- it'll work until the H/W crashes, which may be years away.
I've seen hardware last for seemingly ages. Well beyond the lifespan of the OS.
Pierre wrote:- don't believe the sales rep, who just wants to sell you a new PC .. ..
In this case the sales rep's agenda happens to coincide with your best interests. Anybody that's using a Windows XP system for anything other than playing retro games really needs to upgrade; be it to a new computer or a new OS.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”