No support questions here please

Re: Promotional material

Postby clem on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Mad_Mac: Thanks, that's beautiful.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby irishfury on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:34 pm

I agree we need swag e.g. shirts, hats, stickers, coffee mugs, etc. Things you can were or use at the office or school that spark conversations like, "what's linux mint?" whereby you can say, "well let me tell you all about it!" The problem with these things is that someone has to pay to have these items made, keep inventory, reorder stock as needed, etc. I have no doubt they would make their money back plus a profit. Does Linux Mint have money in the budget to create the items and sell them in an online store? Or do we, as users take on that responsibility?

However it's done, you want it to be organized so there is a consistent theme in the promotional materials. You don't want every random idea that someone has put on a marketing piece. For example, there is already a great logo, slogan, and color scheme. I don't think we need to focus on creating new ideas for these. We should focus on how to get the message of these great items out to the world.

I'm proud to tell everyone I use Linux Mint, and I want to show it by wearing t-shirts, hats, etc.
irishfury
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ayonkhan on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:30 pm

=> FOSS Addict | Linux Enthusiast | KDE Fan
=> Linux Mint 14 KDE @ Desktop & HP ProBook 4530s
ayonkhan
Level 2
Level 2

Postby JamesFox on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:04 pm

irishfury wrote: The problem with these things is that someone has to pay to have these items made, keep inventory, reorder stock as needed, etc. I have no doubt they would make their money back plus a profit. Does Linux Mint have money in the budget to create the items and sell them in an online store?

I suggest utilizing something like CafePress. They have a free service where they'll take whatever image you give them and make hats, shirts, mugs, etc out of it and sell them on a page dedicated to your items. According to their site, everything you sell has to cost a minimum price which goes to them, and any markup you keep. There goes any concern over inventory production and stock. Just an idea. Perhaps their minimums are too high; it would take some investigation.

James

p.s. I'm in no way affliliated with CafePress and I have no doubt there are numerous sites that offer similar service.
JamesFox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BopNiblets on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:42 pm

Mint is already on Cafepress: http://www.cafepress.com/linuxmint
Also here, shirt with the logo: http://www.printfection.com/linuxmint

It would be cool if your could order free Mint CDs like Canonical do, they even give you Ubuntu stickers (I have loads of them but never stick them on anything!)
BopNiblets
Level 2
Level 2

Postby JamesFox on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:17 pm

BopNiblets wrote:Mint is already on Cafepress

:oops: Whoops! Thanks Bop :oops:
JamesFox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RedWagon on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:07 pm

I like a lot of the work so far, but realised that ads aren't going to help much if we don't have something good to link them back to. The current site is wonderful, don't get me wrong, we just need something a little extra for newcomers to better display Mints features. I was going to originally post here, but it became big enough for a new thread. Hopefully I'm not violating any cross-posting rules... :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=163&t=26990&p=156549#p156549
RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby irishfury on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:13 pm

JamesFox wrote:
irishfury wrote: The problem with these things is that someone has to pay to have these items made, keep inventory, reorder stock as needed, etc. I have no doubt they would make their money back plus a profit. Does Linux Mint have money in the budget to create the items and sell them in an online store?

I suggest utilizing something like CafePress..

BopNiblets wrote:Mint is already on Cafepress: http://www.cafepress.com/linuxmint

Awesome! That solves two of my problems! We need stuff created, and I want some stuff.
irishfury
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Carl on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm

BopNiblets wrote:Mint is already on Cafepress: http://www.cafepress.com/linuxmint

It would be cool if your could order free Mint CDs like Canonical do, they even give you Ubuntu stickers (I have loads of them but never stick them on anything!)

But then they have a much larger user base and probably order those CD's in un-imaginable bulk numbers at almost next to nothing where as it would probably cost quite a bit more to do this for mint :?
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby AKiRa121 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:57 pm

Guys, I've uploaded a very beautiful image to deviantart, I hope somebody with the correct skills can use it to make a Banner, or a wallpaper, I think it just needs the Linux Mint logo and Slogan, if anybody is going to use it, please, let me know so I can get the banner or whatever you do, thanks!!! :lol:

http://revesdesigns.deviantart.com/art/Green-waiting-for-Mint-124839463

By the way, if you are suscribed to deviant, leave a message or something!!!
The GIMP pimp... apprentice!!!
AKiRa121
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BopNiblets on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Here's a quick something I made, not sure what it can be used for :p
BopNiblets
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Jay514 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Thats a cool Gator picture , but it has a watermark at the bottom left of the screen & if your going too " GPL " then should the photo contain a watermark?
Anyway good photo.
Jay514
Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Postby BopNiblets on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:04 pm

True, better get my camera and go find some gators... to Africa! :p
Well, I never really expected it to be used, just saw it on a site today and thought of this thread. :D
BopNiblets
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Carl on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:16 pm

BopNiblets wrote:Here's a quick something I made, not sure what it can be used for :p

There should be an aero coloured alligator with the windows logo on and it should be watching the green one do hand stands and acrobatics and then it should say something like "I'm green with envy over mint"...

or not LMAO :lol:
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Marcush on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:24 pm

How about Zazzle? You can make tshirts coffee mugs and a bunch of other promotional gear. They will ship it and a preditimered percentage of the profits would go back to Linux Mint. I would like a tshirt and Im certain other people would get into it. Contributers can submit desighns and whoever manages it will put the t-shirts out.
There are 10 types of people in this world those who understand binary and those who don't.
Marcush
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AKiRa121 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:23 pm

:?: Question...
Where can I get the official Mint artwork (you know: wallpapers, icons, etc)???
:idea: Asking cause maybe I can make a theme for Ericsson mobiles.
AKiRa121
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mad_Mac on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:43 am

Mad_Mac
Level 1
Level 1

Postby spinyshooter on Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:35 am

I'm not sure if it's been done or even though of before but how about a counter for satisfied users? Have it report how long people have used mint, % of people still using mint, and how easy first time users find it. possibly also include first time users reviews?

Slap that counter on the home page, so interested people could see other peoples input right off the bat

I'm not sure how the data would be gathered automatic email or included script. If it was a program/script have it set to run on startup every few weeks at first, then switching to every month or something like that, with the option to disable it of course.

Just my 2 cents. If I had seen that info a few years ago when I was hesitant about switching to mint that would have helped me swing my decision a bit quicker.
spinyshooter
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AKiRa121 on Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:00 pm

Mad_Mac wrote:Here is some art: http://www.linuxmint-art.org/

Yep, I know that page, and thanks, but I meant the official artwork you know, like the rainy wallpaper (the one you get at first when you install Gloria).
AKiRa121
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Well . . browse through the wallpapers, I found and downloaded the Mint Dew for my mint6kde there!
Or just click on the "Most Downloaded" tab, it's right on top! :wink:

regards, Richard
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Promotion