Discuss ways to promote Mint here

Share your ideas on how we can get Linux Mint better known
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Discuss ways to promote Mint here

Postby Carl on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Ok I'll start =]

I think it would be good to create a standard text/Leaflet which people could post on non technical type forums ranging from things like gardening to cooking or other forums/websites which aren't necessarily related to computers in anyway that would explain what Linux Mint is and how it is perfectly capable of doing everything that windows currently does for them as I personally am a member of many gardening forums and other non-pc forums and no that if people actually new that they didn't have to update to widows vista and that they could hang on to there 512mb windows XP computer they would! especially if that meant a £200 saving :wink:
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Discuss ways to promote Mint here

Postby FedoraRefugee on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:49 pm

You might want to start by moving this thread to this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=26851

I was a bit negative in that thread but it is not towards the idea of advertising, rather towards the distrowatch preoccupation many seem to hold. "OMG, we are number 1! Woo hoo..."

I do think it is a fine line between advertisements being tasteful and moderate compared to cheesy and overbearing and I really seriously wonder at the effectiveness of this for a Linux distro.

I think a better idea would be ambassadors towards strategic parts of the computer world. Have a group that hit up magazines, both wood pulp and online, and other software reviewers. Keep them informed, ask for feedback, find out what their audience wants.

Another group to watch are computer manufacturers, even small mom and pop retailers looking to sell preinstalled Linux. A great example is here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=221227

Read about rpstitz's venture and what he is facing, especially as far as his choice of which distro to preinstall on his systems. I am JN4OldSchool in that forum BTW. I feel Mint would be the ideal offering for his systems, but just think if the Mint team would actually reach out to him! Offer him a line of inside support or better yet, find out his exact needs (ie hardware) and tailor make an iso for him. You could reach out to all computer manufacturers you can find. Asus dropped the Linux ball on the eee pc's, but I can understand why. They have hardware difficulties and it is better for their business to simply offer a Windows XP that works 100% than a Linux that works 75%. Just think if Mint could find qualified people to make Mint work 100% on that hardware! Of course this turns into a resource issue and it is a bit of a pipe dream on my part. But what if...

I think Mint is growing the most by word of mouth. Many of us have been recommending it to new folks for a couple years now. I know in Fedora forum 9 out of 10 of us will point to Mint first, many of them (us) use Mint along with Fedora. I think this is the best advertisement you can get. Just keep doing what you are doing. Listen to what your users want and accommodate them. Do not try to be cutting edge, remain stable with everything working out of the box.

This should be an interesting forum, I am looking forward to the ideas that come up.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Postby reverend_nerd on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:59 pm

How about we use the power of creative commons distributed media to our benefit? In a 15 minutes search I found some nice images that could be used for many purposes, like wallpapers and smart ads.

I know it goes completely against the proposed by Zwopper, using the Dew theme as a base for ads, but my intention is to add some creative thinking in the thing, to find out the limits of the distro promotion.
Other of my tactics is to explore how well the logo and idea fits in photos and ads. In my opinion the logo has a remarkable elegance, able to stand out and transmit a message, regardless of contents of the photo.
Remember, this is just to explore a concept, not intended as a real ad for Mint!
The images I used are in a Creative Commons Non-Commercial 3.0 License.

On the line of "get a taste of mint".

Now, I completely wiped my spare time, need to fill a little more of a report!

Good night to you all!
"This- is now my way,- where is yours?" Thus did I answer those who asked me "the way." For the way- it does not exist!
- Friedrich Nietzsche. Thus Spake Zarathustra
reverend_nerd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Carl on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:24 am

I know you say there just to "explore a concept" but they really work and I do Like them it's the type of thing that I can imagine being on a poster 8)
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Zwopper on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:31 am

reverend_nerd wrote:How about we use the power of creative commons distributed media to our benefit? In a 15 minutes search I found some nice images that could be used for many purposes, like wallpapers and smart ads.

I know it goes completely against the proposed by Zwopper, using the Dew theme as a base for ads, but my intention is to add some creative thinking in the thing, to find out the limits of the distro promotion.
Other of my tactics is to explore how well the logo and idea fits in photos and ads. In my opinion the logo has a remarkable elegance, able to stand out and transmit a message, regardless of contents of the photo.

The images I used are in a Creative Commons Non-Commercial 3.0 License.

On the line of "get a taste of mint".

Now, I completely wiped my spare time, need to fill a little more of a report!

Good night to you all!

Great finds!
I only referred to the "Dew" image as a point of reference, to give a feeling of recognition.
Since the "Dew" layer is semi transparent and rather big(2560x1600)
it can be scaled and used as a partial(or complete) overlay to any image,
I'll whip up an example on one of the images if anyone can point me to it.
[EDIT] I found it - see the post below![/EDIT]
Last edited by Zwopper on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Zwopper on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:48 am

OK, so here's a few takes on reverend_nerd's "Mint Tea, featuring the "Dew" layer...
I simply resized the "Dew" layer to make it roughly the same size,
then applied the "liquid rescale"(no pun intended!) filter in GIMP to make a perfect fit.
Applied a layer mask to it to edit out the glass and leaves.

For the image below, I simply inverted the layer mask on the "Dew" layer,
polished it a bit and ended up with this:

Here is a variation of the image above with the "Dew" taken of the leaves...

And finally an image where the "Dew" layer covers the whole background image...

One could also make a version with the "Dew" only on the leaves,
so the possibilities are only limited by the imagination.

Opinions anyone?

Oh and by the way, my personal favorite is the first image. :)
Last edited by Zwopper on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby exploder on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:18 am

I love it! Subtle and elegant, nice!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:00 am

I like this first one zwopper, background only, with the glass being really sharp.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Zwopper on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:47 am

emorrp1 wrote:I like this first one zwopper, background only, with the glass being really sharp.

Thanks! :)
Yeah that's the one that feels most Linux Mint to me as well!
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Carl on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:04 pm

Zwopper wrote:
emorrp1 wrote:I like this first one zwopper, background only, with the glass being really sharp.

Thanks! :)
Yeah that's the one that feels most Linux Mint to me as well!

I also prefer the 1st one but I don't like the shadow/3d effect on the text :)
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mesanna on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Reverend, your images are awesome. I like the "Taste Mint" idea, and the cake ad looked gorgeous - but then I do have a terrible sweet tooth!

Just to throw an idea out there: the word "mint" is also used in a currency context (i.e. coins are made in a mint). Don't know if this is just a UK saying or not, but people sometimes say "He's minted", meaning "he's got loads of money". I wondered about that as an idea to work on - something like "I'm Minted" meaning I use Mint and I've got extra cash cos Mint is free. Just thinking out loud really.
mesanna
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:32 pm

Carl wrote:I also prefer the 1st one but I don't like the shadow/3d effect on the text :)

That is easy to change.
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby stressonthesky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:28 am

How about:

Linux Mint - A breath of fresh air
Linux Mint - Revalue your PC

I like what mesanna has said about it being newly minted, and money to spare because the OS is free but also I'd be keen to highlight the fresh and clean look of Mint Linux. It's not just easy to use, it makes sense.

One of the greatest thing for me about most Linux distros is that they usually run (in my experience) faster than they would do in MS and certainly can better handle almost any hardware combination you throw at it.

Windows, being a monolithic OS, gets sluggish the longer it's running (it's all downhill after the install), Linux does not. Perhaps some phrase working around that?
stressonthesky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby facade47 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:01 am

reverend_nerd: I love the concepts!
Zwopper: I too like the first of your edits.

My suggestion would be to perhaps place a colon after "Mint" instead of a comma... "Mint: For teas, drinks, and your PC!"

Also, would it look good if the text were lined up with the sloping edge of the glass?

Nice job both of you :D
facade47
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:07 am

facade47 wrote:reverend_nerd: I love the concepts!
Zwopper: I too like the first of your edits.

My suggestion would be to perhaps place a colon after "Mint" instead of a comma... "Mint: For teas, drinks, and your PC!"

Also, would it look good if the text were lined up with the sloping edge of the glass?

Nice job both of you :D

Thanks!
Sure all the edits you talk about are easy to do.
But what's even more important before we take it any further, will this get used?
Otherwise it's better to turn the creative energy towards something else.
CREA DIEM!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mark mc on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:03 am

Hey guys,
I'm a big fan of mint, I also work in repographics, unfortunately i don't own the company i work for so i have no choice about what software or operating systems we use at work.
I do however have access to full color printing in large format and professional print finishing, although it would incur some expense to produce proper promotional stickers due to the price of materials,( I am not paying for 300,000 bumper stickers ) if there are some good designs for car stickers or little labels I would endevour to produce these at cost price ( labour costs for free) depending on amounts ordered I could produce these materials and forward them to some one who is willing to distribute them.
On another marketing thread I also wrap vehicles, (full color printed vinyl applications), i live in Ireland and I wonder if we came up with a cool mint themed vehicle wrap, would Clem let me wrap his car in vinyl. :) Most companies we do this for go through a meticulous design process, again there would be a cost associated with materials involved but , expertise and labour would be free. ( imagine the Mint Mobile ).
I'd be interested to see what some of our graphics people could come up with and i'd be more than willing to collaborate on design an technical issues.
Lemme know what you think, maybe i could get some samples posted out to the relevent people.
Mark.
Mark mc
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Jay514 on Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:06 am

Ok guys,
I posted another banner here ( viewtopic.php?f=163&t=26904&p=156154#p156154 ) , take a look &
please give me some feedback.
I'm confused :? In what format the file should be saved, so as the transparency will not show up as a white background,
while using Gimp to save, comments or suggestions welcome.
Thanks,
Jay514
Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Mark mc on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:49 pm

hey :)
i liked that banner
think of a car covered in that type of image maybe you could do sides ( profile) an front an back,
the minty jungle thing definately works
just outline the text / message in white
:)
good stuff
I also do banners btw, and before you ask , i am not a comercial company, i'll do everything for cost.
we just need to tighten up on design an provide proper files rdy to be ripped i'll provide the labour at less than cost .
eg : if you can find a competitve quote (comercially) to provide what we need i'll match it.
One other other thing i was thinkin of was celebrity endorsment
, do we have anyone in the media spotlight who is complit and uses mint , am just thinkin of the likes of bowie and townsend who are both famous for their cuttin edge attitude to multi media. Obviously celebs are gonna be hard to pin down but just imagine if we had a cheap advertisement by some one like Slash
jus saying "**** the Man - Get mint ", many many celebs like to improve their street cred by promoting something new and credible.
//Edit by Husse /Watch your language - please don't use the F-word and similar - people feel offended by it//
We don't have to get Slash straight away but you know what am thinkin .............
anyways keep chuggun ideas
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
Mark mc
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sebmck on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:14 am

What im doing to promote this awesome OS is burning copies of the cd putting a label on it putting it in a official looking case with a sticky note on the inside and a little booklet of the linux mint manual and leaving it in various public places :)
sebmck
Level 1
Level 1

Postby minterer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:51 pm

This picture is very good, create promotion banners on theme of that picture.
Sorry for my bad English.

Sorry for my bad English.
minterer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Promotion