New Slogan?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
JonM33

Re: New Slogan?

Post by JonM33 »

mesanna wrote:I must admit I've never liked the slogan. I mean, what is it really saying? "You've tried all the other distros, now use this one cos it looks 'elegant'?" You should choose a distro based on how it looks? Is that the message Mint wants to send? Sorry if that sounds harsh and critical, I don't mean it to be, but the slogan just never spoke to me.

"Linux for human beings" on the other hand says to me "this is linux for ordinary people, not computer nerds, so why don't you try it". I think it's a great slogan, given that that is Ubuntu's target audience. And the irony is, that Mint is even easier to use than Ubuntu.

Marketing is not really my thing. I'm just a straight-talking kinda gal! Maybe something along the lines of "Linux Mint. For free spirits" It's got that cool bohemian thing with a reference to open source. OK, I'm not given up the day job anytime soon!!
Mesanna
:D
From freedom came elegance. It has deeper meaning. From the freedom of the Linux environment came something effective and simple (one meaning of "elegance"). It's true. The "keep it simple" standard is what pulls people away from Windows - to Mac or Linux. Honestly, Ubuntu is a mess to look at. I look at it and see buttons and bars all over. A couple years ago when I dived into Linux with several distros it was Ubuntu that turned me off of Gnome - well Fedora 8 "Werewolf" had a hand in that too. So I started looking at KDE based distros. But even Kubuntu was horrible. PCLinuxOS was bad and I could break it too easily. I stumbled upon openSUSE 10.3 and was happy. I kind of gave up though until recently. I tried openSUSE 11.2 and confused it is a mess and KDE is now crap IMO.

Out of the box? Linux Mint is both simple yet extremely effective. It's menu is by far the easiest to navigate coming from a Windows user. Things are where they should be. I don't get lost with menu under menu under menu like I do with openSUSE 11.2 and confused at the purple (ugh!) mess that is Ubuntu 10.04. Linux is designed cleanly and has a nice selection of wallpapers to help pull you in and make you say, "Wow, they put some effort into this. I like it!"

From freedom came elegance. I like the current slogan quite a bit.
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

"Linux Mint... we're not just a bunch of leaves..." i duno i tried lol

"Mint - Taste the keyboard" lol
"Mint- Looking good lately?"
"Mint- the other ubuntu"
"Mint- we're not just in your toothpaste" (corney i know but lol)
"Linux Mint - The newest flavour of Linux"
"Linux Mint- Taste our Kernel"
"Linux Mint- Hey Sexy"
"Linux Mint- The lattest distro on your breath"

if any of those get used (i doubt they will lol) just give props to Mas Sergio haahahhaha

or how about
"just mint it"
"Mint yourself"
"How about a Linux Mint?"
"We're much more than An after dinner Mint.."

Mint-Taste the rainbow lol lol lol ok i jacked that form skittles i pirated i know i know. >.<
"Don't win(dows) it! Mint it!"

maybe that guy (or girl) who started this thread is right we should probably also make the name shorter. Lets kill the LINUX part and just call it MINT and then we can call the different version like "MINT"(regular version) and "MINT SP" (Standard Provisionary) for the one that doesn't include the download w/ the plugins and stuff(for legal reasons in the states etc). Alot of times people asked me wich Mint includes the plugins and codecs or what ever and I myself would get confuesed until I read the description. that way we can just tell ppl don't download the SP version becuase it doesn't come with jack lol.
Brad

Post by Brad »

How about?

1) Freedom Becomes Green
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

"have a mint..." lol
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Brad wrote:How about?

1) Freedom Becomes Green
Hmmm, sounds good but "green" is associated with power savings these days. Does Linux Mint help conserve energy or the environment?
mick55

Post by mick55 »

myspacecommassergio wrote:"Linux Mint... we're not just a bunch of leaves..."
:P :lol: :mrgreen:

That's funny.

The first time i read it I thought it said:-

"Linux Mint... we're not just a bunch of elves"

mick
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I suggest no slogan at all. The name "Linux Mint" is concise and elegant enough without proclaiming it.

Slogans are not used much in advertising anymore. [Ubuntu appears to have dropped their "Linux for Human Beings" and I'm glad they did; it was a silly distraction.] Focus on the benefits, not on some "new age" aura.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

"From freedome came wisdom and beauty" :idea:
:P
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

How about: "We are what's next".
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
JessiRay

Post by JessiRay »

Aww, I always loved the slogan for mint, even before I used mint. It's classy and fitting, I think.
Cheesethief

Post by Cheesethief »

Simply Fresh

Simple and to the point. It expresses that mint is simple to use and something fresh and new for your PC, not something that is old and bloated.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

New slogan: :idea:

"LinuxMINT will open your mind.
Rapidly quickly.
"

8)
TheTeZ

Post by TheTeZ »

mesanna wrote:I must admit I've never liked the slogan. I mean, what is it really saying? "You've tried all the other distros, now use this one cos it looks 'elegant'?" You should choose a distro based on how it looks? Is that the message Mint wants to send? Sorry if that sounds harsh and critical, I don't mean it to be, but the slogan just never spoke to me.

"Linux for human beings" on the other hand says to me "this is linux for ordinary people, not computer nerds, so why don't you try it". I think it's a great slogan, given that that is Ubuntu's target audience. And the irony is, that Mint is even easier to use than Ubuntu.

Marketing is not really my thing. I'm just a straight-talking kinda gal! Maybe something along the lines of "Linux Mint. For free spirits" It's got that cool bohemian thing with a reference to open source. OK, I'm not given up the day job anytime soon!!
Mesanna
:D

Im not against a new slogan by any means, But i do like and have always liked the current slogan, " From Freedom Came Elegance"
im not doubting your intelligence, or claiming you dont know what elegance is, im saying this to explain why i like the phrase, From Wikipedia the definition of elegance:
Elegance is the attribute of being unusually effective and simple. It is frequently used as a standard of tastefulness, particularly in the areas of visual design and decoration. Elegant things exhibit refined grace and dignified propriety.
Some associate elegance with simplicity and consistency of design, focusing on the main or basic features of an object, its dignified gracefulness, or restrained beauty of style. One may also attribute elegance to place something in an opulent light—a in tasteful richness of design or ornamentation "the sumptuous elegance of the furnishings.
WHATS BETTER THAN THAT?!?!?! From Freedom Came Linux Mint, Being Free to do what you want, having no limits, from being free, came linux mint, from being free came elegance, "From Freedom Came Elegance"
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

TheTeZ wrote:...
I supose slogan should be something what would in one sentence said the most important about the subject as well as what should employ - catch a hesitating one when reading the linux distros reviews :wink:

Lately I got an idea of new slogan like (but still not make it rhymed so have to work on it yet :lol: ):

LinuxMINT is best for beginners/newbies but good for all :D
Teucca

Post by Teucca »

Simply!
MINT is an easy, logical, adaptable, inspiring, user-friendly OS.
kvv

Post by kvv »

I love the current slogan, these two are posted earlier are good and catchy too.
Fresh. Friendly. Free
Didn't really like the emphasis on "free" though. I know free has a different meaning when it comes to software, but people new to FOSS will perceive LM as nothing more than a "free" but possibly inferior (due to cheap cost) alternative to Windows, when it is far from that.
Linux is now easy.
Heh.. this one is good. Maybe as an alternate or a secondary slogan, or something of that sort.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

IMHO nothing has topped "from freedom came elegance" yet.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
frozenstuff

Post by frozenstuff »

Whoever posted "Linux made easy" or something like that is probably the best slogan. I remember when I first started with Ubuntu, I was pretty intimidated. Everyone thinks Linux is for the true hardcore PC users.

"Linux made easy" is probably the best one imo

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”