Linux Mint on Wikipedia

Share your ideas on how we can get Linux Mint better known
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Linux Mint on Wikipedia

Postby ozi3333 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:29 pm

The first thing I did when I first heard about Linux Mint was to head over to Wikipedia and type in "Linux Mint". I am sure this goes for many PC-users out there, and I therefore think it is important to make this first impression as good as it could be.

The Wikipedia article looks very nice and appears tidy. But I think the first impression should be a little better. For example make a section for each release where there is talked about what was new and special for this release etc.

In the "Critical Reception"-column the lack of citations makes the article look very local and unprofessional, this should be fixed.

There are far to few languages the page has been translated into, translate it into your language!

To be honest I think there are more people who first read about Linux Mint in Wikipedia, than in LMs very own website. Therefore I think there should be used more time and energy to make it as good as possible.

Just my suggestion, I am not very good in Wikipedia-writing myself, so I hope some of you would help, and excuse my english.
ozi3333
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint on Wikipedia

Postby Old Marcus on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:01 am

I will admit I wrote the critical reception part. I have included as many citations as I felt was needed. The thing is, when I wrote it, there weren't many LM reviews, and I had to make do with the links I had. I felt it was pointless to reference the same links over and over again.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ozi3333 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:30 pm

I think it is excellent that you wrote it, and it has very many good points. But a little effort to get some citations would make the effort complete.
ozi3333
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ozi3333 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Now I have spent some hours creating my first Wikipedia-article ever. I created the Linux Mint-article for the norwegian Wikipedia. And I think it became nice and tidy. Actually it was pretty easy as soon as I got the hang of it.

It was not harder than to copy/translate from the norwegian article for Ubuntu and the english one for Linux Mint. I encourage everybody to create an article in your language!

Here is the result of my effort:
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint
ozi3333
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GuiH on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Ok, until a week my work will be done, just expand on the original Portuguese language.
I think that is important to keep all article citations as impersonal mode.
What u think to use an automatic translation, with many linguistic adaptations?

Cheers :mrgreen:
GuiH
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ozi3333 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:52 am

Personally I think automatic translation should be avoided, because it may result in a crappy looking article :P

If the article does not look professional enough, no one will think the distribution is any better.
ozi3333
Level 1
Level 1

Postby afraca on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:44 pm

I would be happy to translate the wikipedia article into dutch, but I'm not sure citations from the english article can be used for the dutch article as well?
afraca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GuiH on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Well, I done the enhancement on the Wikipedia Portuguese!
I quickly made google translate, and rearranged the translated words.
And, I want to use the position on distrowatch in all wikipedia pages about Linux Mint (Linux Mint -> 4th); how to do it? :idea:
GuiH
Level 1
Level 1

Postby johonunu on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 am

I made Linux Mint page on Serbian Wikipedia. It's not too big, but it's better then nothing ;)
http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint
My Minty Laptop Configuration
Lenovo G550
4GB DDR3
Nvidia G105M
300 GB HDD
http://www.trifunovic.me/
johonunu
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mati75 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:07 am

This is polish Linux Mint on Wikipedia: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint
mati75
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ozi3333 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:13 pm

afraca wrote:I would be happy to translate the wikipedia article into dutch, but I'm not sure citations from the english article can be used for the dutch article as well?

Yes, they can, at least that is how it is in the norwegian one.

Beatiful work everyone! I am sure they are appreciated by Mint-newbs.
ozi3333
Level 1
Level 1

Postby recent-convert on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:04 am

I have some suggestions to make it more friendly and informative to new/potential users. If other people agree I'd like to go ahead and make these changes:

* Move 'Branches' and maybe 'Editions' further down the page, and move 'Mint tools' and 'Comparison with Ubuntu' up, as I think that will better reflect what a potential user is curious about.
* Remove the third bullet point (about mint4win) and instead do a brief dedicated 'Installation' section.
* It seems like the 'Critical Reception' section has been removed. But there are now plenty of good and balanced reviews of Helena, so maybe it could be replaced?
recent-convert
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GuiH on Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:38 pm

Now we have more than 20 languages in wikipedia !
:mrgreen:
GuiH
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Promotion