How do you promote Mint?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
tatsujin79

Re: How do you promote Mint?

Post by tatsujin79 »

Here is how I promote Linux as a whole, I use public wifi since I simply can't afford Internet at home. I've always had a philosophy as instead of coercing someone into doing or trying something its better to sort of intrigue them enough to ask questions. So there really isn't a day that someone doesn't see my desktop and end up asking me what I am running. Of course I will answer and show them a little bit about the desktop, answer any other questions they may have and give them the link to a couple web sites for more info (mostly linux.com). I still get surprised sometimes cause once in a while I will have someone come up and ask me "what distro are you using?" or like last week "Is that arch linux? Did you install it yourself?"
M_onkeyman

Post by M_onkeyman »

I installed Mint on my Mom's computer when Windows farted; other than that, i'm not promoting mint much. Some cool Mint shirts would change that though
tatsujin79

Post by tatsujin79 »

M_onkeyman wrote:I installed Mint on my Mom's computer when Windows farted; other than that, i'm not promoting mint much. Some cool Mint shirts would change that though
ask and ye shall recieve http://www.cafepress.com/linuxmint
M_onkeyman

Post by M_onkeyman »

:? I don't know what kind of crack cafepress is smokin' if they're thinking i'm going to spend 20 bucks for a shirt. Nonetheless, thanks for the link, I'll make sure to lurk that page hoping for some kind of sale.
tatsujin79

Post by tatsujin79 »

M_onkeyman wrote::? I don't know what kind of crack cafepress is smokin' if they're thinking i'm going to spend 20 bucks for a shirt. Nonetheless, thanks for the link, I'll make sure to lurk that page hoping for some kind of sale.
I agree, the point was that they are available. :D happy shopping or lurking lol
Ehecatl1138

Post by Ehecatl1138 »

Hi.

I wrote a review of Linux Mint in spanish, Julia, and I would like you can add this to the reviews section. Here is my link:

http://alexpuente.wordpress.com/2011/02 ... r-de-boca/

Thank you.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi there ! ...

I just talk to anybody about ' LINUX Mint ' ... when it comes to talk about computers .. printers .. harddisk ... or whatever ! ...

and so far ... ' LINUX Mint 1o Julia ' .. is my first choise ! ...
and ' Ubuntu 1o.1o Maverick Meercat ' is not bad at all ! ...
I'm quit intrested in ' Debian 6.o.1a Squeeze ' ! ... and found a ' new ' OS ... called ' SalineOS ' ... on base of ' Squeeze ' ! ...

but this is music for the future ! ... will see what's up first ! ...
by now I'm realy satisfied with ' LINUX Mint ' ... and replaced all my netbooks from ' Windows ' ! ...

for so long ! ... casey972oo

casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

AlbertP wrote:I once installed Linux at my teacher of French, but her computer consisted of all available Linux-incompatible hardware combined in 1 case. And, her accounting program did not have a Linux version and Wine was not able to run this (Microsoft .NET) program (something about 'void not found', .NET calling an undocumented function). As her Vista did not work as it should (harddisk problems), I have given her an old 2002 computer with XP, which had got some slow but could run the accounting program without problem. She still wants to switch to Linux, this computer supports it 100% as far as I know, but does not want to switch to another accounting program...

By the way, I have recommended Linux to 2 people that are fed up with Windows. I might install Linux at one of them, the other one is a bit xenophobic...
try to get the ' source-code ' .. of her accounting-programm ... and make a compilation for LINUX ! ... with ' gcc ' or some other compiler ! ...

woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

I quite realize that I am going to insult the Mandriva/Mandrake folks here...

Ummmm I VOLUNTEERED to have no less than THREE "install" parties for Mandriva.....and what did the "Mandriva team" do....

They IGNORED ME....

The first install party....I

had to PROVIDE MY OWN CDs and MY OWN photocpied at Kinko's photocopy place my OWN Mandriva "sticky signs" for folks computers...

and the next one....the first one a hundred and twenty some odd the next one...i think fifteen

AT A COLLEGE...............DUUUUUUUHHHHHHHh

oooooops....FLYOVER ASTROTURF country in the United States!!!!!

POLITICALLY INCORRECT THERE!!!!! BAN ME!!! :? :?

And from Mandriva....i got Jack SQUAT!!!!

the photos they had....THEY SHOULD WISH they had as many installs as I had...

So......

here is what I do....

Formerly it was Klikit....then it was Klikit and Rev.....

Now it is Kubuntu and now that Rev had a release....

I wander through the college "atrium"............

and randomly throw down cds with an attached piece of paper......

BECAUSE THE POLITICALLY CORRECT ...... IN HIGHER EDUCATION..........alll............do..........windblows.........

and....every once in a while......

SNICKER..........SNICKER...........SNICKER...........

THE CUSTODIANS....you know....

Those people who clean out the TOILETS.........after YOU use them.....

Give me the ones that were not picked up....

And.....just about alll the time.....not EVERY time....but just about all the time....

they give me back less than I threw down.

woodsmoke
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

At the moment ... don't. Haven't acquired enough experience with it yet to really feel confident in endorsing it's use by others. Looks like a fantastic piece of software and atm, my hats off to the developers behind Mint. Will wait to make up my mind for awhile. lol ... new toys are always great. But sometimes the shine and the new wears off and it wasn't quite everything a person initially thought.

I think Mint is great ... just reserving judgement until I've used it for a bit, shrugs. It must be fantastic software though. I've only had to do 2 fresh installs so far. :D One was necessary, the other just being anal retentive and wanted it fresh and new. After 1/2 getting an idea of how to approach it.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

casey972oo wrote: try to get the ' source-code ' .. of her accounting-programm ... and make a compilation for LINUX ! ... with ' gcc ' or some other compiler ! ...
The program costed €300 and that usually means it is proprietary...
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

AlbertP wrote:
casey972oo wrote: try to get the ' source-code ' .. of her accounting-programm ... and make a compilation for LINUX ! ... with ' gcc ' or some other compiler ! ...
The program costed €300 and that usually means it is proprietary...
ok ! ... ok ! ... didn't say nothing ! ...

casey972oo

tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

tatsujin79 wrote:
M_onkeyman wrote:I installed Mint on my Mom's computer when Windows farted; other than that, i'm not promoting mint much. Some cool Mint shirts would change that though
ask and ye shall recieve http://www.cafepress.com/linuxmint

I'm toying with the idea of buying some plain T-Shirts (or possibly sweat shirts) and having Troken's avatar printed on them as a Mint logo (viewtopic.php?f=175&t=54412&p=333966&hilit=troken#p333966250kJ)

The question is: Would this be in contravention of the logo currently used by Mint?

Perhaps Clem will see this and give me a "Yes" or "No"
joez

Post by joez »

I've found the combination of word of mouth along with a hands on demo/evaluation to be most effective in promoting something I really like.
cs1

Post by cs1 »

In the USA many school systems do not have enough money to afford continuning Windows based teaching. For that reason computers are being pulled out of the class rooms. The 3 year cycle of new Windows computer and new software is to expensive. Linux Mint would allow the school systems to afford to keep computers in the class room. It runs well on older computers does not cost much to install and is up dated for a very low cost. Linux also has some teaching software. The problem is getting the administrative side of the school systems to accept an idea other than Windows.

Other sites of placement of LInux Mint would be boys and girls clubs for after school activities and churches where many older people have a non functioning Windows computer and don't have the cash to fix Windows on a recurrent basis. Setting up classes in the church to install and teach use of Linux Mint would go a long way. Linux does not need constant attention to keep running.
Vella

Post by Vella »

I have been blabbering on about it since I installed it - 2 weeks? My mum definitely is next. But I usually suggest people to try it on old computer, that do not run well, so it's fail proof (and I obviously am the one to do it for them). Otherwise I find - amazingly a lot of people are happy to spend $£€ to buy something new and more expensive = therefor better. Even if they run into the problems with that, they'll never admit it, because they've spent £$€, that overrides somehow the discomfort.
So far I got reaction from one recent Mac convert - it looks a lot like mac :) . So, for someone to try Mint they should be slightly adventurous, really annoyed by windows and somewhat cheapskate, not caught by the latest advertising, trying to salvage what they already got.
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

By using the live CD to "rescue" Window$ for them. Most of the ones that I know cannot fix their Window$ crap, so by me fixing it for them, they get to use the Live CD for other things. Such as checking email or the local weather, prior to me fixing their issue. I usually fix computers while the person is at work.

I've had at least 20 Mint converts this year alone, and 2 Sabayon Linux converts. The Sabayon users were of the wild type, liking that music that starts up with the OS. The ones that I converted to Mint, were those who were tired of the endless maintenance. Virus scanning, defragging, keeping unwanted registry entries & broken desktop shortcuts (of which these two does slow a PC to a crawl at times). While in Window$ there are some free apps for these issues, the good ones are paid for, usually yearly subscriptions.

However, no matter what anyone says about a Linux OS not being to receive/transmit viruses, I take no chance. I scan with the ClamTK application, of which the latest can be found here:

http://clamtk.sourceforge.net/

The version in the repository is an older version. However, and I push this upon anyone that I've steered to Mint, is that one doesn't need to run that scanner daily. Unless the user is one that makes heavy use of Window$ via VirtualBox.

One no longer has to wait for the next version of Mint is released to get the latest stable version Firefox (or Google Chrome & Opera) any longer. This is a major plus. I always tell this to those who are interested in Mint. But the thing that I don't do, is cram it down one's throat. If one is interested in trying or learning, then fine, I'll spend time with whoever. If they don't want to hear about it (even after I rescue their costly Window$ for them), I say nothing.

Unfortunately, there's plenty of those who cannot see a good thing, even if it was under their nose. Many has the attitude that if something's free, it's not worth having, & one stated to me that using a product for free is wrong. I told that person that there are donation links on Mint's site, & if she feels the need to pay for what she uses, that's quite fine also. She accepted the DVD that I burned (I keep around 5 of the latest version, the last (11), & the long term version, Mint 9. Most people that I know uses 64 bit computers, so if one requests me to install, w/o asking, I install the x64 version.

I spread the word the best to my ability.

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
Anakinholland

Post by Anakinholland »

I promote Linux Mint, and Open Source in general, by doing the following:
  • Always carry a USB Thumbdrive on me, with Mint 11 and Mint 11 LMDE liveCD's installed. When (not if!) people complain about Windows being slow, inefficient, expensive, or getting all sorts of crap installed due to "promotions" of 3rd party software, I ask them if I can have 5-10 minutes to show them something... :)
  • I read magazines in public transport (I commute about 2,5-3 hours every day), or work on my Mint 11 netbook. I've noticed some reactions to the magazines and my desktop before, but so far noone has come up to me and ask.
  • My mother is a teacher and as an end-user she's participating in an IT-workgroup. We often discuss how her employer thinks about IT, what they implement, and how money always is a concern. I tend to give her advice based on Open Source solutions. I also give her my old magazines with marked articles which could be of (great) help in her environment. That being said, the powers that be are ignorant and oblivious, so they'll probably stick to paying too much, being vendor-locked, and princess about that... :(
  • People ask me about alternatives to programs X or Y, I tell them to visit http://www.osalt.com and google for "<name of application> Open Source".
  • At work I am allowed to run Red Hat Enterprise Linux instead of Windows XP/7. So I "pimped" it a bit with AWN and a nice wallpaper related to the company, that really grabs people's attention. I also replaced the windows sticker on the laptop, now rocking the fedora.
  • Make sure that people know that Linux is better than Windows regarding software-weaknesses and exploits, but not a saint. However, due to the philosophy and community, the hacks/exploits that are being found will be fixed within a couple of days, most even within hours. On the MS-side, you'll most likely have to wait for patch-tuesday, and probably even longer.
  • If I help anyone out with PC-related stuff, and they wish to give my a financial compensation, I tell them to give that money to an Open Source project. Stuff like Mint, Wikipedia, etc. I don't mind helping people out, it doesn't cost them anything extra, but it does make them focus at least a little bit on stuff outside of the mainstream. (Bad term I know, Wikipedia is the worlds 5th most visited website)
So far, the first point I made has led to two family-members asking me to install it to HDD :) My niece didn't go as far, but is very happily working with Libre Office instead of MS Office. Support is VERY important in these cases, as they're all accustomed to Windows, so I told them they should mail me if they had non-urgent questions, and call me if it was blocking them from something important (from their point of view!).

At work I get a lot of attention with my laptop, I've handed out a couple of manuals on how to make the transition, but so far noone has actually taken the plunge... :(
sahilshinesalways

Post by sahilshinesalways »

How can we promote? just blog about it.i did it in my blog
http://sahil-tech.blogspot.com

simple :wink:
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I have posted my views on Mint Marketing and Promotion - Retail DVD with booklet

I have not been able to make such a booklet due to my other commitments.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”