Promote Mint to users of pirated windows versions

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
MintHat

Promote Mint to users of pirated windows versions

Post by MintHat »

It's well known that there are lots and lots of people who use a pirated version of windows.

But i wonder how many of those people do that because they can't afford to purchase a retail version of windows.
In my opinion it would be a good idea to have adds on torrent sites.

So basically you're about to hit the download torrent button, while you notice a Linux Mint add, and decide to download that instead.
viking777

Re: Promote Mint to users of pirated windows versions

Post by viking777 »

MintHat wrote:It's well known that there are lots and lots of people who use a pirated version of windows.

But i wonder how many of those people do that because they can't afford to purchase a retail version of windows.
In my opinion it would be a good idea to have adds on torrent sites.

So basically you're about to hit the download torrent button, while you notice a Linux Mint add, and decide to download that instead.
Or how many people do it because their paid for copy of Windows will no longer work? That is what happened to me when they brought out XP service pack 2 . I spent months trying to get my pc to work after installing it and I never did. So it made me quite angry that I had to choose between a poorly protected machine or one that didn't work. Round about that time I was offered the use of a pirated copy with SP2 already installed, so I took it. I didn't want to, but I was forced into it by poor support. I used it for a while then came back to Linux which had improved a lot since the first time I tried it in 1999. Now I hardly ever use Windows (and the pirated copy has gone, in fact WGA more or less stopped me using it anyway).

It is not a bad idea except for one thing, the kind of sites that offer pirated copies of Windows are not exactly the places you want to advertise in!

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”