[EDITED] Mint USB Stick & MUG Sample Pictures!!

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
wiggy25

[EDITED] Mint USB Stick & MUG Sample Pictures!!

Post by wiggy25 »

I've had a price for USB memory sticks, printed with the logo

Not too sure if this is what you meant by promotion, as this is more of a shop type sell item.

Minimum order QTY is 50 sticks.

This is a 4GB USB 2.0 memory stick.
It will have the logo printed on both sides of the metal swivel.
Includes neck strap, not too sure about colours
Body colour black, unless a majority want it different. I'm tempted to have the body colour the nice light green.
Sample picture below of type of drive

£10+delivery

£2.00 of each sale will be donated to Linux Mint.

The more ordered up front then the cheaper they are, which in turn means more money donated.
I'm in the UK so postage to USA could make it too expensive, unless someone there wants to look into it as well.

I can ask for a sample (I think) which will show what they look like.

What do you think?
Last edited by wiggy25 on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
wiggy25

Re: Linux Mint USB memory sticks printed with logo

Post by wiggy25 »

Hi all,

I have received a picture of the mock-up for the USB memory stick.

We have two options, the top image is with the logo printed directly onto the clip.
The bottom image is the logo printed onto a resin sticker which goes across the whole clip

A few questions, this will be costing a fair bit of money, so don't want to order any unless folks want to actually buy them.

Which one do you prefer, I'm a bit unsure about a sticker in case it peels off, but they could be ok.

Is 4GB big enough?
What does everybody think?
Will anybody buy them?

Not many views so far of this post so not sure what to do.
Opinions please.

Cheers

Ian
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [EDITED] Linux Mint USB Stick Sample Pictures!!

Post by tdockery97 »

It is felt that the best place for your topic is here in the Promotion area. Best of luck, and hope your idea generates some interest.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

tdockery97 wrote:It is felt that the best place for your topic is here in the Promotion area. Best of luck, and hope your idea generates some interest.
Thanks for the reply.

As I'm a newbie, I thought I could contribute to Linux Mint in this way.

I have done all of this and I'm quite prepared to buy the 50 sticks upfront with my money to sell to you with the logo done.
To buy the coloured sticks with logo will be £400+ including VAT and P&P to my home address.

Again I don't mind doing any of this and then packing and sending them out to you all.

I just need feed back to see if it's worth while, there really is no point in me having 50 USB memory sticks that nobody will buy and end up being out of pocket by £400+

I can assure you I'm not making a penny on this, I will probably end up out of pocket, not to mention all of my time, again I'm not too bothered about any of this as I feel it's more than justified compared to the amount of work the Dev's put in to bring us such a good O.S.

I can't do it though without support.

Cheers

Ian
kvv

Re: Linux Mint USB memory sticks printed with logo

Post by kvv »

wiggy25 wrote:.

Which one do you prefer, I'm a bit unsure about a sticker in case it peels off, but they could be ok.

Is 4GB big enough?
What does everybody think?
Will anybody buy them?
I am sorry, I cannot buy these because of my meagre wallet size :P, and also because I live in USA. But, kudos to you, those designs looks really good.

1. I prefer the direct printing onto the stick, as it looks better in the image and it will not come off, unlike the sticker. But will that be more expensive?
2. 4 GB is just right IMO, 8GB might be more than needed for a flash drive and 2GB too less.
3. It's a great idea, provided you find the right people (or the right people find you :P). I am sure that there are, as a flash drive is something that most people use.
4. I think people will buy them (I very likely would, if I was in the UK), you just have to get their attention. :)
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

Thanks for the reply.

The price is the cheapest I can get with ordering only 50, if I ordered any more then it would be less.
The problem is I would need to be spending about £700+ for 100 or should that be $1100 !!!
Which I can do but would need to sell them all very quickly to get my outlay back.

I've looked on the Ubuntu shop site and the price they are selling a 4GB stick for is £14.50 so I think I'm in the right sort of price range.
Problem I have....... I don't have Mark Shuttleworth's millions :lol:

I also prefer the direct printing and there is no difference in price.

Thanks for the thumbs up though.

Cheers

Ian
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

I now have some postage prices from the UK.
It will be approximately £1.50 which is standard airmail and will take about 7 days.

This means you are looking at a total of £11.50 or US $17.83 or €13.83
Remember £2, $2.50 and €2.00 will go to Linux Mint.
This is for the 4GB memory stick preprinted to the above design and colour.
It will come with a silver neck strap.

I will not order any until I have some firm orders.
Remember I need to order a minimum of 50 units.

It will take a few weeks for me to get the order one placed, if it runs on too long it will be the chinese new year so the factory that produces these will be then be closed for 3 weeks.

Cheers

Ian
rikstation

Post by rikstation »

Cant believe no interest has been generated in this,
I think its a great idea, and i like the look of those USB sticks although i would require a larger size personally, 16, 32Gb which i imagine would be too expensive to bulk purchase. Its also a great way to contribute to the mint community.
Best of luck
M_onkeyman

Post by M_onkeyman »

rikstation wrote:Cant believe no interest has been generated in this,
I think its a great idea, and i like the look of those USB sticks although i would require a larger size personally, 16, 32Gb which i imagine would be too expensive to bulk purchase. Its also a great way to contribute to the mint community.
Best of luck
One reason there might not be much interest on the USB sticks might be due to the lack of people going to this section of the forums.
wiggy25

Re: [EDITED] Mint USB Stick & MUG Sample Pictures!!

Post by wiggy25 »

I asked the MODS the best place to put it and they said in here so that's where it has stayed.

I have been playing about with some home made decals, thanks to the artist called VAST on Clem's blog I used the silver logo to create some decals for the USB stick and a mug.

The mug only has the logo, I do have a larger decal made up with the tag line as well (same as the USB stick) I may put that on to a mug as well to see what that looks like.

Photos below:-

I have put two decals on the mug, one on each side.
The USB sticks also have the decals on both sides as well, same orientation as shown in the photo.

The USB sticks used a clear backing sheet, the cup used a white backing sheet, just printed onto the decal paper using the ink-jet printer.
The only issue with using decals on pottery is it can't now be used in the dishwasher as the heat and spray force will pull them off.
To have a mug printed like this isn't a huge amount of money, but the upfront cost of buying them is the thing.
Like I've said previously it's just not that easy to go and buy say 50 of them and then find nobody wants to buy them, it's a lot of money sat there doing nothing.

Cheers

Ian
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If there is a little hole at the place where you would expect a LED, then you can be almost sure it is NOT bootable on an older computer. I will only buy a USB stick if older computers are able to boot Mint from it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

I thought not being able to boot from a USB was down to the motherboard in the PC?

I have a couple of older PC's and in the BIOS it doesn't give an option to boot from USB, infact I don't think they even mention USB!!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

There are motherboards out (from around 2002-2005) that can boot only a couple of USB's, and not all of them. If there is indeed a little 'hole' in the stick where you would expect a LED, this is one of those sticks that need a newer BIOS to boot.
spider2097

Post by spider2097 »

rikstation wrote:Cant believe no interest has been generated in this,
Best of luck
I have to be honest & say this is the first time I visited this part of the forum - and it was mainly to see if anyone had had the idea of the branded USB stick as I was considering pricing a batch up myself and seeing what interest there might have been :!: From playing around with USB installs of Mint, I'd suggest the minimum size should be 8Gb but I don't know how much that would drive the price up. I do like the idea of the mugs too :) There used to be a firm on the internet that would store your design online & you could then order items as & when needed. I'll see if I can remember who they are and if they're still operating. If I can find out this information I will post that up.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

8GB is not really needed, I am running a triple-boot Mint 10 32-bit, 64-bit and Parted Magic on a 2GB USB without problem. For only one Mint version on USB, 1GB is enough if you don't use KDE.
spider2097

Post by spider2097 »

AlbertP wrote:8GB is not really needed, I am running a triple-boot Mint 10 32-bit, 64-bit and Parted Magic on a 2GB USB without problem. For only one Mint version on USB, 1GB is enough if you don't use KDE.
Aaah. I must be doing something wrong then :!: :shock: My apologies :?

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”