[fixed 6.3.7] mintInstall 6.3.4: hang on screenshot dl

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[fixed 6.3.7] mintInstall 6.3.4: hang on screenshot dl

Postby matheos on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 pm

we cant browse app list when offline : Mint install try to download screenshot on the web and freeze there..
Last edited by matheos on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
résistant comme un pingouin qui sourit en plein millieu de l'artique
matheos
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint install minibug

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:51 am

@matheos: please can you change the thread title to something more descriptive and helpful like "mintInstall 6.3.5 - offline hangs on screenshot dl" or something similar.

I can confirm this bug *for browsing apps not browsed before*, apps for which I already have the screenshot aren't a problem. Looking at the code (frontend.py), this is really strange as the download screenshot stuff should all be occuring in a separate thread, and hence not affect the main app. However, it can't be threading properly because the app's reviews list isn't populated while retrieving the screenshot is hanging.

Ok, I first thought the reason for this is the data locks that threading has to use in order to prevent accessing the same stuff at the same time as another thread (or, if it doesn't do this automatically, then the simultaneous access of wTree/model from the main thread). However, this can't be the case, because it works in the online mode, or perhaps it just happens fast enough that it's complete by the time the data is needed again. It could also be to do with using os.system, rather than urllib: http://code.activestate.com/recipes/496685/

Basically, I can't identify the exact source of the problem, but this definitely needs looking at in more detail.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [confirmed] mintInstall 6.3.4: hang on screenshot dl offline

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:05 am

If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions