Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby ckosloff on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:29 pm

I did a clean install of Isadora 64.
Even formatted the partition where it is installed.
Verified MD5sum before burning DVD with Mint 8.
Verified DVD integrity before installing.
I noticed that I don't have the command "open as root" in the context menu.
I don't have "open as administrator" either, which is supposed to be installed by default.
Maybe my .gconf carried over settings that should not be there.
Anyway, I need a solution.
I want to recreate the option in the mentioned tool.
The directives found in similar threads are all wrong.
So, please post how to configure the Nautilus tool to re-create this context menu option.
ckosloff
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby JasonLG on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:55 am

It's not a "clean install" if you don't delete the hidden folders in your home folder. Delete the hidden folders and restart.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:15 pm
Location: Polk City, Iowa USA

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby ckosloff on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:12 am

I already solved this problem.
Created a new item in M9.
I have a netbook with Helena, looked at the options in the "Open as root" command.
Copied over the options to M9, bingo!
Options don't have the same layout, but are basically the same.
I think that this "open as admin" by default is a bad idea, looks too much like M$.
And there is no option to configure it in the tool, thumbs down.
FYI, I never carried over hidden folders from my previous installation.
I like to configure everything anew, I just copied over docs, email and other stuff that I use.
ckosloff
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby ckosloff on Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:15 am

The fact that I found a work-around does not mean that there is not a bug there.
There is, since the default behavior did not work.
ckosloff
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby ckosloff on Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Actually, I will correct myself, I do have "Open as administrator", but only on certain folders.
If, for example I want to open /etc I do not, I have to use the "Open as root" that I created, because it is the only one available.
Don't like that "administrator" business.
ckosloff
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby JasonLG on Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:59 pm

ckosloff wrote:FYI, I never carried over hidden folders from my previous installation.
I like to configure everything anew, I just copied over docs, email and other stuff that I use.


I don't believe that you did. Than why did you say "Maybe my .gconf carried over settings that should not be there" in your first post?


I'm trying to tell you it's not a bug. The reason that it's not there for you is because you did not delete the unneeded hidden files in your home folder before you upgraded. End of story. When you installed 9 over top 8 Mint kept your old config files and it messed up your right click menu in Nautilus. As far as the naming of the command is concerned It doesn't matter what you call it, you could rename it "Paint me purple and make me walk backwards" and it would still do the same thing.

If you would have upgraded correctly you would not need your so called Bullsh!t "workaround".

Why even ask questions in a forum if you're so sure you know it all and plan to totally disregard what people say anyway?

I'm done conversing with you. I can feel myself getting stupider by the second every time I read your posts.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:15 pm
Location: Polk City, Iowa USA

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby ckosloff on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:18 pm

JasonLG wrote:I can feel myself getting stupider by the second every time I read your posts.

Thanks for admitting it. For once, I totally agree.
Further corrections: I thought that .gconf being carried over MIGHT be a possibility, which I totally discarded after further analysis.
I did not install M9 "on top" of M8, I formatted partition and did a clean install, as already mentioned.
I do have the "open as administrator" option.
It does not work at all like my much improved workaround.
Reason 1:
If you open Nautilus on Computer and right-click on a blank spot, this option does not show.
Same thing if you go to File System.
You have to drill down to a folder, hover over it and right-click for it to appear.
My workaround appears and works in EVERY situation.
Reason 2:
My workaround is configurable, you can change icon, etc.
Reason 3:
The main tenet of open source is that you can do what you want with your system.
An option that appears when it wants and is not configurable is not open source.
Reason 4:
The word "administrator" stinks too much like M$.
Conclusion:
The "open as administrator" option might not be a bug, but it stinks nonetheless.
ckosloff
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby vincent on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:55 pm

JasonLG, I believe that the "Open as root" function in Nautilus is not present in Mint 9 in the same way as in Mint 8, whether or not you migrated .gconf or any other hidden folders during the upgrade process. I myself did a complete re-install (and re-formatted all my ext3 partitions to ext4 in the process from Mint 8 to Mint 9, so I know I'm clean), and yet I only see "Open as administrator" when right-clicking in Nautilus, and only when right-clicking on a folder icon; in Mint 8, Open as root could be called by right-clicking anywhere in Nautilus' workspace, without having to go up one directory and opening the previous directory you were in, in order to open the directory you were previously in, as root. One thing for sure, I liked "Open as root" better anyways. :P

To me, it doesn't really matter anymore, because I prefer going "gksudo nautilus /path/to/directory" anyways. Good thing about the terminal is that it's reliable; the same command is unlikely to change whereas developpers often make awkward changes to GUI's.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2220
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:10 am

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby JasonLG on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:50 pm

vincent wrote:JasonLG, I believe that the "Open as root" function in Nautilus is not present in Mint 9 in the same way as in Mint 8, whether or not you migrated .gconf or any other hidden folders during the upgrade process. I myself did a complete re-install (and re-formatted all my ext3 partitions to ext4 in the process from Mint 8 to Mint 9, so I know I'm clean), and yet I only see "Open as administrator" when right-clicking in Nautilus, and only when right-clicking on a folder icon; in Mint 8, Open as root could be called by right-clicking anywhere in Nautilus' workspace, without having to go up one directory and opening the previous directory you were in, in order to open the directory you were previously in, as root. One thing for sure, I liked "Open as root" better anyways. :P

To me, it doesn't really matter anymore, because I prefer going "gksudo nautilus /path/to/directory" anyways. Good thing about the terminal is that it's reliable; the same command is unlikely to change whereas developpers often make awkward changes to GUI's.


That's sounds like you're splitting hairs. I can right click any directory or file in Nautilus or on the desktop and get "Open as administrator." I honestly don't see the functional difference. I think it's just a matter of you guys not liking the name.

It's likely that the name was changed from root to administrator because newbies coming from Windows are more likely to know what administrator means than root.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:15 pm
Location: Polk City, Iowa USA

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby vincent on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:56 pm

What I meant was that in previous versions of Mint, you could just right-click anywhere within the directory you wanted to open as root, and select the "Open as root" command. Now, in Mint 9, you have to go up one directory, then select the icon of the previous directory you were in to open it as root via "Open as administrator", which is an additional hassle, and an unwelcome one. It's not the name that's bugging me, it's the fact that it takes an extra mouse-click to get the same thing done in Nautilus; it's the same concept with the breadcrumbs, the icon to switch back and forth between breadcrumbs and the location bar is removed and a bit of gconf-editor tweaking is required to get the location bar showing by default, but then you won't be able to toggle to breadcrumbs if you so wish. It's not a major inconvenience (unlike the kernel regression in 2.6.32 for my wireless card), but it's still annoying to see something changed, seemingly just for the sake of being changed.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2220
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:10 am

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby JasonLG on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:02 am

vincent wrote:What I meant was that in previous versions of Mint, you could just right-click anywhere within the directory you wanted to open as root, and select the "Open as root" command. Now, in Mint 9, you have to go up one directory, then select the icon of the previous directory you were in to open it as root via "Open as administrator", which is an additional hassle, and an unwelcome one. It's not the name that's bugging me, it's the fact that it takes an extra mouse-click to get the same thing done in Nautilus; it's the same concept with the breadcrumbs, the icon to switch back and forth between breadcrumbs and the location bar is removed and a bit of gconf-editor tweaking is required to get the location bar showing by default, but then you won't be able to toggle to breadcrumbs if you so wish. It's not a major inconvenience (unlike the kernel regression in 2.6.32 for my wireless card), but it's still annoying to see something changed, seemingly just for the sake of being changed.


I already gave my answer on the last post. I'm done with this subject. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse.

I agree with you on the breadcrumbs thing though, although you can just hit Ctrl-L to toggle them back and forth.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:15 pm
Location: Polk City, Iowa USA

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby ckosloff on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:13 pm

vincent wrote:What I meant was that in previous versions of Mint, you could just right-click anywhere within the directory you wanted to open as root, and select the "Open as root" command. Now, in Mint 9, you have to go up one directory, then select the icon of the previous directory you were in to open it as root via "Open as administrator", which is an additional hassle, and an unwelcome one. It's not the name that's bugging me...

Could not agree more, but our friend Jason seems to be a stubborn guy and potty-mouthed too.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49307
What I wanted to say is that you can re-create the "open as root" command with the Nautilus Actions Configuration Tool in Control Center, and you will have the same right-click functionality you had in M8, which is sorely missed.
There are other workarounds of course, you can right-click anywhere, open in terminal, and just type "gksu nautilus".
You can open a terminal and type "gksu dolphin", and get same functionality in Dolphin.
You can also create a launcher with the command.
The possibilities are endless.
I agree that the "open as administrator" is a concession to lure guys away from M$.
Although the intention is good, the result is disastrous.
You know how the old saying goes about the path to Hell...
ckosloff
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby gorade on Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:20 am

Do I dare to take up the subject again? I changed from Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10 64 bit into LXMD. I had nautilus-gksu installed before.
Now when I right click to open a folder "as administrator" I am asked for my root password which I give. So far all seems all right, Archive handler "as administrator" tries to open but now comes a dialogue saying: "Couldn't create the archive Archive type not supported"
I close the error dialogue and go to the Archive handler's menu and open and get into /home/ as super user.

So, I can after all open as administrator but not directly into the folder I intended first.

No offence meant, but I don't think this works as intended for me, for some reason. Perhaps Ubuntu Meerkat has done something to the folders that LXMD doesn't recognize? :?
User avatar
gorade
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Bug in Nautilus Actions Configuration tool

Postby ckosloff on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:45 am

gorade wrote:No offence meant, but I don't think this works as intended for me, for some reason. Perhaps Ubuntu Meerkat has done something to the folders that LXMD doesn't recognize? :?

No idea as I don't use LXMD, just Mint Julia with Gnome.
However, I did create in the Nautilus Actions Configuration tool the "open as root" command, which I copied over from Mint 8 to 9 and now 10.
If you need guidance on this I can provide.
PS. I also created it in LMDE, that's how fond of it I am.
ckosloff
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cgs1025, Google Adsense [Bot], Johnny333, Maverickz, Mute Ant and 38 guests