[invalid] Nautilus2.26.2 Shift Mouse LM7

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[invalid] Nautilus2.26.2 Shift Mouse LM7

Postby chontler on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 am

Hi,
So in any nautilus explorer window, if I hold down shift and then click on a file (so I could grab a bunch) the mouse buttons suddenly stop working. The same happens on the touchpad. This leaves me to restart via the power button - I'm a total noob who hasn't figured out any keyboard shortcuts yet or how to restart the mouse via terminal.
any advice?

best reards
chontler
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nautilus2.26.2 Shift Mouse LM7

Postby chontler on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:48 am

after further experiments, it seems that it's not just the nautilus explorer, but pretty much any application (unless they all use the same engine).
I managed to log out with the shift ctr del and log back in and that seemed to get the mouse working again.
chontler
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Egorama on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:29 am

I'm still a n00b myself so forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe mouse functions are controlled by the X server so it's likely to be system wide. That being said out of curiosity I tried the shift+select here and couldn't replicate your problem, that would lead me to believe that X may not be quite set-up correctly for your laptop. Might be worth trying this one in the hardware help forum perhaps, see if someone can help you iron out the wrinkles.
Dont Believe half of what you see and none of what you here -- Lou Reed
Egorama
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chontler on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks for the reply. It wasn't that but I learnt a few things while trying. I found the issue in the compizconfig settings by turning off all the zoom desktop controls. So I guess that the zoom desktop is causing the mouse buttons to stop, but I don't even know what that does anyway. probably something really great but oh well! :D
chontler
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:11 am

chontler wrote:So in any nautilus explorer window, if I hold down shift and then click on a file (so I could grab a bunch) the mouse buttons suddenly stop working. The same happens on the touchpad.
..who hasn't figured out any keyboard shortcuts yet or how to restart the mouse via terminal.

You can always try ctrl alt backspace keybord combination to kill the x server (desktop) and relogin
http://lifehacker.com/5259425/re+enable ... ubuntu-904
    using the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace shortcut key combination will immediately restart the X server and bring you back to the login prompt
    Linux mint 7 gloria 32bit edition does have ctrl alt backspace keyboard combination enabled
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=syndaemon
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/syndaemon1.html
You are not running syndaemon are you ?
--turns off touchpad for keyboard activity/use..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions