[invalid] Linux Mint 7 Freezes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[invalid] Linux Mint 7 Freezes

Postby Korbu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:43 am

Hello everyone.

I had this problem with linux mint. It freezes unexpectedly and everything stops working, with the power or reset button being the only solution.

This problem has happened during various uses. While using transmission, firefox. On firefox it always freezes whenever I put the videos in fullscreen on youtube. It has even frozen while the computer was on, doing nothing.

This may be a Linux Mint issue. Yesterday I bought a new motherboard, but this problem also occured when I had my old one.
The graphics card isn't the problem because that's new too. Same goes for the hard disk.
I was beginning to think that it might be a RAM problem, but the memtest thinks my RAM is working just fine.

The only thing that's left is the CPU or the Power Supply, and as long as I am aware of the CPU almost never has problems that freeze the computer. I am also using Windows XP SP2, and I never had any freezing problems or Blue Screens of Death, so that should be enough for me to think that the problem is not hardware-related...

Any ideas? I strongly believe that it is a Linux Mint bug...and a serious one. It has also happened to my new Dell laptop. The same thing
Korbu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 7 Freezes

Postby lagagnon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:12 am

Lets start from common sense. If this were a Mint bug it would have been reported many times over, especially being as serious as it is, Mint 7 would never have even made a final release. You definetely have a hardware problem. Random freezes are indicative of such. I suggest you read this: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=28830&p=167039&hilit=hardware#p167039

If you have run memetest for 10 minutes or more and did not get any errors then probably not ram. Next thing is to burn the "Ultimate Boot CD" and run the various disk diagnostic tools there for you specific hard drives. If you have a new mobo then it is probably not your mobo. I would then try running a CPU test (running it at 100% CPU) to see if overheating is causing the failure - you can do that from the Ultimate Boot CD also. You might also want to try Prime 95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/) to test your CPU. If none of those fail it could be a power supply problem.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby richyrich on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:33 am

An easy way to check CPU temps & cooling, is to boot into your BIOS, find the hardware monitor, and watch it for about 3-5 minutes.
What CPU temps are you getting ?
Notice anything with the fans ?
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Location: Pirating somewhere along the North Saskatchewan River, Canada

Postby Korbu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Well, the hard drive or the optical drive is not a problem.

This is because it has frozen both while running Gloria(gnome) without a cd in the cd drive, and while running from the cd(KDE).

The fans are ok, working properly, and the CPU temps I'm getting are normal too. So overheating is not a problem.

This leaves me with RAM problem, CPU problem, or Power Supply problem.

Memtest indicates that my RAM is fine. So, it's not RAM(unless Memtest is wrong...)

About the Power Supply I'm not sure, but right now I am downloading the ultimate boot cd to check the CPU
Korbu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Korbu on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Actually, I did a mistake earlier. I checked the CPU temp when I turned on the computer. It was cool then.

After that I checked a few sites and the intel site, and it's most likely confirmed. I need a new CPU fan...I hope that's the only problem...
Korbu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hinto on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:12 pm

This happened to me..
I updated sources.list to karmic (instead of jaunty) and have been running freeze free for weeks.
The downside is that vmware hasn't issued an official patch so I cannot run vmplayer on my mint host.
What brought me to Debian was one-stop shopping.
What brought me to SID was apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
hinto
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Korbu on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:42 am

Ah, I just found the problem. It's the old Ubuntu overheats the computer bug. Replace the word Ubuntu with Mint, it's just a matter of appearance to this subject.
I had the same problem on my Dell Inspiron laptop. It ran for 15 minutes without doing anything special, it overheated and froze just as I described above.

And as here, on my laptop I didn't have any problems when I ran Windows XP.

Yes, I can assure you that the CPU fans are working properly. It is a matter of voltage if I am not mistaken. CPU voltage I mean...
Korbu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions