[invalid] Linux Mint 7 Crash

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[invalid] Linux Mint 7 Crash

Postby flip on Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:19 am

Hello, i want to report a bug i discovered in my Gloria.

A couple days after installing Gloria my system runs smoothly without problem, even i can't use visual/desktop effects because my GM965 is on compiz blacklist (i don't know if this is the trigger of the problem, after i use apt-get upgrade & update and compiz been updated, i can use any effect on compiz).

A fews day later, in 4-5 minutes after boot (and even before i login), my system suddenly crash, i can't use my mouse and keyboard at all + my monitor shows error / disorder display, and power button is the only way out of this trouble, but when i'm trying to boot again this thing never happen again until i shutdown my system, and happens everytime in my system first time boot. I can't sure this is a hardware or software problem, but in my previous OS ( i use Vista) this problem never happen. Now, sometimes this is coming in 2 times ( #1 boot=crash; #2=crash; #3=success).

here's my system spec:
Toshiba Satellite M200
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1,5 GHz
Intel GM965
3GB RAM

screenshot : http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/3093/44791558.jpg
thanks for any help :D
flip
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 7 Crash

Postby lagagnon on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:12 pm

This is highly unlikely to be a "bug". You probably simply do not have the correct video driver for whatever chip you have. First of all boot into "recovery mode" and when at the simple menu in recovery mode choose "Fix video problems" , reboot and see if that helps. If you can get into a terminal (recover mode) type:

inxi -G

and show us its output so we can help you with your video problem.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 7 Crash

Postby flip on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:59 am

Hi and thanks for your reply :D

before i open this forums and read your post, i try to open BIOS setup and do nothing for about 10 minutes before i boot into Gloria,
the reason i do that: if in BIOS my screen goes misplaced again that i'm sure is the hardware problem (monitor), but my screen remains normal in BIOS.
when i'm trying to boot, that problem doesn't happen!
i don't know if that problem really disappear or i have to stay in BIOS for a couple minutes before everytime booting my Gloria.

oh well, this is what i've got :
in my recovery mode i chose "xfix - try to auto repair graphics problem" after that i chose normal boot.
and this is the output of inxi -G :
Code: Select all
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.0 Res 1280x800@59.9hz

==

now i can say that my system always crash (/freeze/whatever-it-calls) 2 times and success in 3rd time.
a few minutes ago, i'm trying to stay in BIOS again before boot = fails, my system had the same problem again
after that, running in recovery mode, choose 'xfix - trying to auto repair graphics problem' then resume normal boot = fails
3rd time, don't do anything just normal boot = success.

i was thinking compiz error make my system error too. Trying to disable compiz with 'metacity --replace', my minimize, maximize and close bar gone, then i'm restarting my system.
have another problem, my system power suddenly gone (like i'm doing shutdown) then the power up again.
after that i run command 'compiz --replace' and the like-power-off-suddenly problem gone.

any ideas ?
flip
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions