Poll: Desktop environments

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Which desktop environments do you use?

Cinnamon
30%
Fluxbox, OpenBox, Blackbox, *box
3%
Gnome Fallback
3%
Gnome Shell
9%
KDE
11%
LXDE
6%
MATE
19%
Other non-listed DE (Enlightenment, Trinity, RazorQT, ROX) or not using or planning to use any of the DEs listed in this poll.
2%
Unity
4%
Xfce
13%

Total votes : 4983

Re: Poll: Desktop environments

Postby Silver Clown on Fri May 25, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm using MATE atm and I quite like it so far. Saying that KDE has been my preferred DE for quite some time now and I'm undecided weather or not I'll replace KDE with MATE full time or not.
Silver Clown
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby tdockery97 on Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 pm

The great thing is that Mint 13 will also come with KDE soon, so you will at least have the choice. :D
Mint 17 Cinnamon
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby RobertLM78 on Fri May 25, 2012 2:38 pm

SpaceExplo wrote:Even you do great work on Cinnamon I am strong fan of MATE and intend to use in a future as my main (and most probably only) desktop environment for both my personal and work computers.

I feel the exact same - Cinnamon is nice, but MATE is where plan to stay for long time to come (probably as my only DE as well :wink: ) Since I just replaced installed Mint 12 on both my machines within the last couple of months, I'm going to keep the installations for a while, but I have already downloaded both 32- and 64-bit Maya iso's, MATE edition of course :) .
Dell Dimension 4600i, ATI Rage 128, 1 GB RAM, Linux Mint 13 32-bit, MATE edition
Dell Latitude D400, Intel Graphics, 1 GB RAM, Linux Mint 13 32-bit, MATE edition
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 6 GB RAM, Linux Mint 13 64-bit, MATE edition
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mark1mint on Sat May 26, 2012 5:44 am

I'm actually using Gnome fallback,but actually that's only because Cinnamon has proved to be too buggy for at the moment on my computer and Mate is showing some glitches too:in reality I would happily use both of them instead of Gnome fallback (well that's ironic,trying to escape from the nonsense of Gnome 3 one ends up using a dumbed down version of the beautiful Gnome 2),with maybe a slight edge for Cinnamon because it looks more modern and compact,if only it could use Compiz 3D effects it would be a really nice desktop IMHO.I'm confident Cinnamon issues will be straightened up along the way and it will (hopefully) become more and more customizable,at that point I think it will probably be the best alternative.
mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby steviejay on Sat May 26, 2012 11:56 am

I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon. It was a little bit glitchy with the ATI drivers installed but I removed them and it's running great now with no noticable difference...job's a good 'un! Image
steviejay
Level 2
Level 2

Postby oobetimer on Sat May 26, 2012 6:28 pm

MATE simply works .. :wink:

Cinnamon feels like a poor man MATE .. :lol:

KDE is too candy for working .. :shock:

Gnome shell is .... unfinished .. :lol:
oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Postby paraquat on Sun May 27, 2012 1:22 am

I voted for both LXDE and Cinnamon. Actually, I'm only using Cinnamon on my wife's computer - she likes all the bells and whistles. For myself, speed is a big issue and LXDE delivers. No doubt I'm partly influenced by the fact that my computer is a relatively lame 32-bit ASUS eeePC netbook while my wife has a much more powerful 64-bit machine.

I'm sorry to hear that LM is discontinuing LXDE, but I understand the difficulty of maintaining so many interfaces. Better to concentrate on one thing and do it well. For now, my netbook is running the latest Lubuntu.

I'm keeping my eye on Enlightenment too. It's promising, but needs more work, especially when it comes to how it handles Pulseaudio. Bodhi Linux has embraced Enlightenment like no other distro. It's still a small project, but it's one to keep an eye on, especially for the purpose of my netbook which will probably never be able to run Cinnamon fast enough to make me happy.

I tried the mess that is Unity and Gnome 3, and concluded that those projects are barking up the wrong tree. Don't know what the developers were thinking when they came up with that. So much effort put into half-baked interfaces when they already had something much better. Go figure.
paraquat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mark1mint on Sun May 27, 2012 5:10 am

paraquat wrote:I voted for both LXDE and Cinnamon.

Didn't know I could cast more than one vote,in that case I would have voted for Mate(because it's Gnome 2 continued),Cinnamon (because it's new and promising) and Gnome fallback(dumb,but at least sort of usable),basically anything not Gnome 3.

paraquat wrote: I tried the mess that is Unity and Gnome 3, and concluded that those projects are barking up the wrong tree. Don't know what the developers were thinking when they came up with that. So much effort put into half-baked interfaces when they already had something much better.

Exactly :wink:
mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Postby BostonPeng on Sun May 27, 2012 8:12 am

oobetimer wrote:KDE is too candy for working .. :shock:

I beg to differ. I use KDE daily and it's a breeze to work in, in fact I bolt it on top of LMDE any time I rebuild my laptop simply because it's so easy to use. (I guess I can be kind of rough on a laptop, plus it took me a while to learn I need more than 9 gigs of hard drive partition for my root directory.) Yes, there's some tasty eye candy in KDE, especially with Bespin added, but all work and no play makes Tux a very dull penguin.

I'm still holding out hope that clem will put out Mint KDE on a Debian base one of these versions. It will make a good number of us very happy.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MALsPa on Sun May 27, 2012 8:23 am

BostonPeng wrote:it took me a while to learn I need more than 9 gigs of hard drive partition for my root directory

Why? Doesn't seem to be the case here, currently running KDE in 4 different distros.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby BostonPeng on Sun May 27, 2012 9:05 am

I end up installing enough that I get out of room errors when I try to install apps, and I think also on updates but I don't remember if it happened then or not. I think part of my problem is needing to run 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system, and that's part of the problem. Or maybe I'm just trying to install too many apps in the first place. I do love installing additional packages for apps and debuging symbols. 8)
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mintymintminty on Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Just cast my vote :)
Packard Bell Intel Celeron CPU E1500@2.20GHZ,3 GB Ram,nVidia Ge-force 7050/nVidia n force 610i ( Integrated )160GB Sata hard drive, Running Linux Mint 13 ( Maya ) MATE Version.
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Postby BostonPeng on Mon May 28, 2012 11:26 am

MALsPa wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:it took me a while to learn I need more than 9 gigs of hard drive partition for my root directory

Why? Doesn't seem to be the case here, currently running KDE in 4 different distros.

This morning I remembered something that's causing me to need so much room in my root partition. I'm running LMDE but I bolt KDE on top of it so I end up with packages for two DEs. In the past I've removed some of the GNOME apps to free up space (pre MATE and Cinnamon) but I haven't taken that path yet with the current install. I'm hoping to try a reinstall of LMDE today to switch to 32-bit and hopefully that alone will free up space so I can get some additional debug packages installed. For some silly reason I like getting the debug symbols installed so if something doesn't play nicely I can try to file a bug report on it, especially with my running a non-standard install by adding KDE to LMDE.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MALsPa on Mon May 28, 2012 1:00 pm

BostonPeng wrote:
MALsPa wrote:

This morning I remembered something that's causing me to need so much room in my root partition. I'm running LMDE but I bolt KDE on top of it so I end up with packages for two DEs. In the past I've removed some of the GNOME apps to free up space (pre MATE and Cinnamon) but I haven't taken that path yet with the current install. I'm hoping to try a reinstall of LMDE today to switch to 32-bit and hopefully that alone will free up space so I can get some additional debug packages installed. For some silly reason I like getting the debug symbols installed so if something doesn't play nicely I can try to file a bug report on it, especially with my running a non-standard install by adding KDE to LMDE.

Oh, I see. I often add another DE or WM to log into, but it's been a long time since I've had both GNOME and KDE on the same system -- back well before KDE4. No doubt GNOME + KDE takes up a lot more space than the combos I'll typically have here -- KDE + Xfce, or GNOME + Openbox, for example.

Also, while I generally go with 7 GB for / and 5 GB for /home (with a couple of separate, large data partitions), when I asked the question I didn't stop to think that maybe I have far fewer other things installed (apps, etc.) than you, allowing me to get by with smaller / partitions.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby BostonPeng on Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 pm

MALsPa wrote:Oh, I see. I often add another DE or WM to log into, but it's been a long time since I've had both GNOME and KDE on the same system -- back well before KDE4. No doubt GNOME + KDE takes up a lot more space than the combos I'll typically have here -- KDE + Xfce, or GNOME + Openbox, for example.

Also, while I generally go with 7 GB for / and 5 GB for /home (with a couple of separate, large data partitions), when I asked the question I didn't stop to think that maybe I have far fewer other things installed (apps, etc.) than you, allowing me to get by with smaller / partitions.

Don't feel bad, I often forget I have something other than KDE on this box myself. Tux knows how seldom I log in to anything but KDE. :lol:
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ldvalle on Mon May 28, 2012 1:23 pm

How can it's possible 28% for Cinnamon, when the own statistics says 1%. ???
Just, see the map on this link

http://community.linuxmint.com/
Don't give up.
ldvalle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MALsPa on Mon May 28, 2012 1:31 pm

ldvalle wrote:How can it's possible 28% for Cinnamon, when the own statistics says 1%. ???

If you take a closer look, you'll notice that those are old numbers. Or, maybe not so old, but the 1% is for the "Cinnamon Edition."
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cwwgateway on Mon May 28, 2012 2:27 pm

ldvalle wrote:How can it's possible 28% for Cinnamon, when the own statistics says 1%. ???

Because the option to choose the Cinnamon edition was added this week, and people don't bother to change their profile. Remember that according to that map 27% of people use the x64 bit edition, and that's not an edition anymore (it's considered part of the main edition), 3.1% of people are using the Universal Edition which doesn't exist anymore, etc. People don't change their profile to say which edition they are using.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dalcde on Mon May 28, 2012 6:39 pm

cwwgateway wrote:

Because the option to choose the Cinnamon edition was added this week, and people don't bother to change their profile. Remember that according to that map 27% of people use the x64 bit edition, and that's not an edition anymore (it's considered part of the main edition), 3.1% of people are using the Universal Edition which doesn't exist anymore, etc. People don't change their profile to say which edition they are using.

And people aren't 100% honest. We have 1610 people using Debian (left graph) but 1043 people using LMDE (right graph) at the moment.
dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Postby cwwgateway on Mon May 28, 2012 7:10 pm

dalcde wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:

And people aren't 100% honest. We have 1610 people using Debian (left graph) but 1043 people using LMDE (right graph) at the moment.

Yeah, but the right graph has the option for LMDE, x64, and Xfce. So if I run Debian x64, I choose Debian and then x64. I have no idea what to do if I run Debian Xfce x64.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements