LibreOffice Vs. AbiWord

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LibreOffice Vs. AbiWord

Postby Garvan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:44 am

I took my netbook with me on holidays recently, knowing I would have to complete one report while away. I figured my Netbook with LXDE Mint 11 installed would be up to the task. Unfortunately for me, I found AbiWord, which I had used for nearly six months but never really tested in with a critical task, fell short of my expectations.

The first thing I realised is that the photographs I need to include in the report were in JPG format. And AbiWord does not import them. Converting and resizing pictures was a pain, as I had not decided which photographs to include until I was writing the report. Then I wanted to resize the column width on a table, but I could not do it using the touchpad on the netbook, so I copied the file into word format, and did it on my wife's computer using word. When I took the file back to my netbook, AbiWord only displayed the file up to where I edited the first table. The rest was missing.

I switched to using my wife's computer running Win7 to complete the report.

AbiWord failed.

I upgraded to LXDE 12 but went for LibreOffice instead of the default LXDE office tools. I know LibreOffice is reliable, and works when I need it.

Garvan
Desktop: Dell, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93Ghz, 2GiB RAM, Linux Mint 13 Maya.
Net-book: SAMSUNG N148-Plus, 2x Intel Atom CPU N450 @1.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, lubuntu 12.04.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: LibreOffice Vs. AbiWord

Postby mank_in on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:56 am

Libre office not include in LM LXDE because LXDE ISO size should be below 700MB for fit on CD.
Sorry for my bad English , I am Indonesian.
mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ibm450 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:49 am

thanks for the heads up. i was going to install Abi but now after reading your post, ill stick with libre as ill be starting college soon in the electrical field.

don't you find it UTTER frustrating and VERY incomplete with libreoffice is that no synonyms and thesaurus is installed ??????????? i mean W T F !!! in windows version of office EVERYTHING is included (syn & thes)

i know its only a matter of afew clicks in synaptic BUT COME ON! for the newbie to linux wanting to experience a pain free writer, why don't distro's - including mint - include these basic office inclusions?
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Garvan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 am

ibm450 wrote:<snip>don't you find it UTTER frustrating and VERY incomplete with libreoffice is that no synonyms and thesaurus is installed ?</snip>
Both are installed in my version of Mint 11, but I see they are not there in Mint 12 LXDE. Installing them now.

Garvan
Desktop: Dell, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93Ghz, 2GiB RAM, Linux Mint 13 Maya.
Net-book: SAMSUNG N148-Plus, 2x Intel Atom CPU N450 @1.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, lubuntu 12.04.
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Others