How can I get video thumbnails on LXDE?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How can I get video thumbnails on LXDE?

Postby mintnoob on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:23 pm

It looks like LXDE's default file manager PCManFM doesn't have a video thumbnailer.

Would I have to install Thunar, or Nautilus instead? If so, would there be any special configuring after installing Thunar, or Nautilus to make either of them the default file manager for LXDE?
Chakra Linux
mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How can I get video thumbnails on LXDE?

Postby Jay514 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Welcome To Linux Mint
You know since this answer has been posted a few days, I have made a search & returned no results. It may be that you may have to add something to the auto start list.I would also like to know if this is possible,since I use LXDE. I would suggest PM'ing Kendall & see if the video thumbnails are possible, if anyone would know , surely he might.Please post results if found.Thanks,
Jay
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu
Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Postby senseiski on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:00 am

Thumbnails are not possible for video files in the current version of PCmanFM (I do not know it it is even planned for the 1.0 release)
Also I don't think that there should be any problem or additional configuration to have video thumbnails in nautuils and thunar (well, for thunar you have to install thunar-thumbnailers package). But it's a little tricky - still the My Documents folder on the desktop will lead to opening the home folder with pcmanfm, also any additional folders on the desktop, as it is still controlled by PCmanFM. Actually, if you start nautilus without the --no-desktop option, it surely would "take control over" and you would have it's desktop (the familiar one from the gnome version of linux mint and ubnutu) :) But it is way less lightweight and it is completely up to you :)
senseiski
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mintnoob on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:58 pm

I was messing around with LXDE live CD and was able to download Thunar along with it's video thumbnailer files easily and it worked fine as it does in Xfce. But I couldn't figure out how to make Thunar the default file manager.
Chakra Linux
mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jay514 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:26 pm

senseiski wrote: But it is way less lightweight and it is completely up to you :)

Very good point, this the reason for LXDE, to have a fast lightweight DE. After all that is why I use KDE also, ( I have a full blown Heavy KDE & a Screaming Racer LXDE ) that I can choose between.
I understand that the new PCmanFM will make other good changes :) , even if no video thumbnails are not available. Thanks for the info,
Have a Good Day
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu
Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Others