LXDE Clock settings

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mark9950
Level 2
Level 2

LXDE Clock settings

Post by mark9950 »

I lost month day and year and it has 24 hour clock.How do i set it to month day and year with seconds and 12 hour format.Dont know how to set it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: LXDE Clock settings

Post by Kendall »

Right click on the clock, click on "Digital Clock Settings", and for the format, check out this page: http://linux.die.net/man/3/strftime.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I'd like it to have more options, such as using the full year instead of 10 for %y selection..
  • man strftime, in digital clock settings
    %y The year as a decimal number without a century (range 00 to 99)
Sorry, just reread the man page, notice %Y does give the century date, so ignore comments..

Unless you think it should be a default selection in the GUI, as the non-century dating method was a kludge (for computers and systems with limited resources, or lazy programmers, I don't know which is the truer answer) and resulted in the famous y2k problems with older programs..
drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

Programming-wise, it's not correct to call it a kludge. There are a lot of things that might predicate using two digits instead of four, depending on what kind of program it is, what kind of resources are available, etc.

Instead of a kludge, you might also call it a reduction in processing cycles (i.e. increased processing efficiency) or a reduction in data storage, in which case the programmer might be a hero rather than a villain. (Being in the LXDE forum, you may be a fan of software that is light on resources.)

Always using four digits without thinking about it might also be lazy.

There is not really a way to know if the programmer was lazy or had actual reasons for using two digits without knowledge of the particular code or system.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

The 24 Hour Clock is my preference (X Army), but my kids have trouble grasping the concept.

It'll have to be %I for them. The date is irrelevant.

Thanks Kendall,
Dave
agostinho_JS

Post by agostinho_JS »

Hi, I know this is probably a dead thread now, but all the same I wanted to say thanks for this link, it solved my problem entirely, and opened up a new world to me.

Agustin
Kendall wrote:Right click on the clock, click on "Digital Clock Settings", and for the format, check out this page: http://linux.die.net/man/3/strftime.

Return to “Software & Applications”