autologin on wireless connection?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gychang

autologin on wireless connection?

Post by gychang »

On xfce I was able to turn the laptop and auto connect to my wireless network.

Can I do this on the latest lxde?, I am running it now but not intuitive, anyone have a solution?

thanks,

gychang
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Re: autologin on wireless connection?

Post by Insane1 »

gychang wrote:On xfce I was able to turn the laptop and auto connect to my wireless network.

Can I do this on the latest lxde?, I am running it now but not intuitive, anyone have a solution?

thanks,

gychang
If I'm right you're referring to the fact you're now being asked for a password to connect to your network rather than just automatically logging onto it? Is it WEP or WPA? I know that since Linux Mint LXDE uses LXDM, a new display manager, rather than GDM that the gnome keyring is not unlocked upon login like it was with GDM. This needs to be "unlocked" before your network manager auto connects to a network with something like WPA or WEP (As the relevant password is stored in the keyring). Now I could always be wrong, but if you ARE experiencing the problem related to the gnome keyring you have two options. The first is to uninstall network-manager and gnome-network-manager and install wicd instead (DO THIS AT THE SAME TIME. Or install wicd THEN uninstall network-manager or you'll wind up in a mess and be unable to connect to a network period), although I've heard it doesn't work AS well (Personally it's always run perfectly for me. I actually need it at school where my networks have a million login points with the same name. Not sure if gnome-network manager had the same option (use for all e-something ids.)). The other option is to install GDM and enable that rather than LXDM, which will allow you to select "unlock on login" at the password entry for the keyring. This will allow you to connet to WEP or WPA wifi spots without entering a password, and it should happen automatically. However, this I'm not entirely sure how to do.
rufong

Re: autologin on wireless connection?

Post by rufong »

gychang wrote: The first is to uninstall network-manager and gnome-network-manager and install wicd instead (DO THIS AT THE SAME TIME. Or install wicd THEN uninstall network-manager or you'll wind up in a mess and be unable to connect to a network period)

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove network-manager && sudo apt-get remove network-manager-gnome

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install wicd
gychang wrote: The other option is to install GDM and enable that rather than LXDM, which will allow you to select "unlock on login" at the password entry for the keyring. This will allow you to connet to WEP or WPA wifi spots without entering a password, and it should happen automatically. However, this I'm not entirely sure how to do.
or right-click network manager>edit connection> have checked "automatically connect" and "all users"

Return to “Software & Applications”