chestnut dialer

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

chestnut dialer

Postby capt on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:04 pm

I have spent hours trying to get chestnut dialer to work. I am not familiar with this dialer but am with the Gnome PPP dialer. I ran a live xfce 9 rc CD to test hardware and it works, The chestnut dialer does not activate the modem at all and the program will close when it should be dialing? I have googled for detailed instructions to see if I did something wrong but there is not much out there. Would installing Gnome ppp be a mistake?
Capt :(
capt
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: chestnut dialer

Postby capt on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:09 pm

I gave up and installed Gnome-PPP and all is well. Chestnut is a POS!

capt
capt
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Digital_Resistance on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:55 am

capt wrote:I ran a live xfce 9 rc CD to test hardware and it works, The chestnut dialer does not activate the modem at all and the program will close when it should be dialing?

That sounds like what I recall happening to me in LXDE 8 when I tried Chestnut; it would just vanish. I don't recall exactly what happened in Xfce, only that I could not connect.

In contrast, I have consistently good experience with Gnome PPP in both PCLinuxOS Gnome edition and antiX (although there is some issue with having to run GPPP as root in antiX 8.5; see http://antix.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2560 ) as well as KPPP in the main KDE-based edition of PCLinuxOS.

Perhaps Chestnut could be replaced by either GPPP or KPPP in Mint (and added to the main edition)?

Note that in addition to this post, my search now also returned a post at viewtopic.php?f=90&t=41992&p=327530&hilit=chestnut#p327530 saying,
in the current Mint 9 Fluxbox, Chestnut is positively worthless
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts." ~ Gene Spafford
Digital_Resistance
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Digital_Resistance on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:54 am

Any updates on this issue?

I see that that the Debian Edition of Linux Mint lists Gnome PPP as being included. It seems rather odd that LMDE would have this when even the main edition of Mint still doesn't seem to.

Also, an update since my last post, in which I had written,
Digital_Resistance wrote:In contrast, I have consistently good experience with Gnome PPP in both PCLinuxOS Gnome edition[...]

A serious problem with GPPP that makes it unusable has been reported in the latest Gnome edition of PCLinuxOS. See
http://www.linuxgator.org/gnome/forum/v ... 44&start=0
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts." ~ Gene Spafford
Digital_Resistance
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Others