LXDE 11 Printing Problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

LXDE 11 Printing Problem

Post by malligt »

Print to Pdf in your home folder produces blank pages.

I noticed that this was actually caught in the RC2 testing, but was not "fixed" in the Mint LXDE 11 Final Release.

(Yes, I know the workaround is to select print to file, and select pdf, and select the desired location....but that is not the point I am trying to make here).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rijnsma

Re: LXDE 11 Printing Problem

Post by rijnsma »

Beautiful system Lxde/Openbox, almost as good as Gnome, KDE, Xfce. But lighter. And one can make it 'big' as
preferred by installing virually everything.

But:

I like to 'make' a printer via 'printing-dialog' in Lxde Mint 11.
It is an old HP 670c printer on a parallel-cable (I don't print much and only text; it is still doing the job).

But Lxde says the printer is not connected, while it works fine on distro's I have on other partitions.
It works also on an Lxde WattOS R3 here.

I just made a new printer (same config-gui) in Mint Xfce for investigation-purposes and it was about one minute of work.
It detects immediatly the printer, searches the driver and ready to go.

But in Min Lxde 11 the printer is not even seen by the software. (I have in Lxde a 'PDF' (?), 'Other' and 'Network',
no HP Deskjet 670c like it shows up in the other distro's).

When I install and run HPLIP toolbox an run HP-devicemanager: device-setup (parallel port) does not see the printer?!

The 'PDF-virtual-print' is working, but one sometimes likes to have something on paper is it not? :D
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Okay, I've found it.
On starting the program 'printing-localhost' to produce connected printers the printer needed to be 'off'.
After scanning one gets back LPT #1. That's the 'gate'. Now printer 'on' and proceed question and answer.
Choose a driver (in my case for HP Deskjet 670c cups and gutenprint simple from about 7 drivers). Etc.
Printer alive.

This was quite different from Mint Xfce Isadora LTS. Here the printer could be 'on' at the start and the printer
was recognized immediatly and displayed as HP 670c. The rest was the same.

Solved. :D
stupid-ass

Post by stupid-ass »

Thing Attempted: Print to PDF (NOT a printer)

I'm getting a blank page if i print to PDF.

The workaround suggested (print to file, select PDF, choose folder) does NOT work.

FAIL.

Return to “Software & Applications”