Updates for Firefox 7?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zarggg

Updates for Firefox 7?

Post by Zarggg »

I'm currently using Linux Mint 10 LXDE because every time I try to install 11 on this laptop, the installation fails before finishing the install/grub setup/etc.

I've used a manual PPA entry to update to Firefox 7 (LM10LXDE only supports up to 3.6 currently), so I was wondering if there are any additional packages/addons/etc that I should also install that were included in LM11 and the updated repositories.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bob E

Re: Updates for Firefox 7?

Post by Bob E »

Zarggg wrote:I was wondering if there are any additional packages/addons/etc that I should also install that were included in LM11 and the updated repositories.
What are the packages YOU want to update? Every user is going to want to update something different and leave current versions as-is. For instance, I'm fine with FF 3.6, but updated gThumb and Openshot with ppas for the latest versions.

If you are looking for a list of what has changed, go to DistroWatch and compare the package version charts to see what has upgraded. http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
Zarggg

Post by Zarggg »

The purpose of my question was to bring it in line with what LM11 would have set up by default on installation. For example, default Firefox installation on LM10LXDE also includes the "Mint Search Enhancer" and "Stylish" extensions along with the userstyle "Firefox fix for Shiki-Colors GTK linux theme" preinstalled.

Unfortunately, the point is now moot as I reverted back to 3.6 due to issues 7.0 was having on this laptop.
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

Zarggg wrote:I'm currently using Linux Mint 10 LXDE because every time I try to install 11 on this laptop, the installation fails before finishing the install/grub setup/etc.

I've used a manual PPA entry to update to Firefox 7 (LM10LXDE only supports up to 3.6 currently), so I was wondering if there are any additional packages/addons/etc that I should also install that were included in LM11 and the updated repositories.
What I found is that it is best to remove both Stylish and mint-search packages using Synaptic prior to upgrading to FF7 via the official Mozilla stable PPA. Then FF7 installs and works flawlessly on LXDE 9. Can't vouch for 10 but similar results should be obtainable in this manner. One additional package to install from the Mozilla stable PPA is ubufox. This carries the necessary modifications required to make the browser function at its best within the OS environment.

Both LXDE 10 and LXDE 11 don't play nicely with the legacy hardware in my notebook so I have stuck with 9 as a base install and tweaked it to my liking adding newer packages I chose to risk breaking the system with.

Return to “Software & Applications”