Windows xp backup files

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sammaul

Windows xp backup files

Post by Sammaul »

I am currently looking for a way to get LXDE to recognize the 5.7 gigs of files backed up on an external harddrive. So far nothing I have tried has worked...anyone have any idea, workarounds? I have though of perhaps using a windows file manager in Wine, but haven't tried that one yet...searching the forums I have found little on the subject so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seppalta

Re: Windows xp backup files

Post by seppalta »

Install NTFS Configuration Tool from Synaptic. That should mount your external hard drive which is probably formatted NTFS.
http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#19
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

Unfortunately its a bkf file, which the system still will not recognize
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

I found this but I have never installed or used it. Might be worth a try:
http://freecode.com/projects/mtftar
Sammaul

Post by Sammaul »

I am a a bit of a noob with linux, but could not get mtftar to work...perhaps I am not using it correctly. I ran right into a brick wall with this one....it is my mother's computer, she has had it for years and cannot afford a new one...however xp was becoming terribly unstable and she had no recovery disk...hell she began to have problems with google chrome and when she uninstalled then tried to reinstall the installer could not find the service pack 2! the important files were backed up so I did a clean install of Mint 11 lxde....and discovered this problem. If I have to I will reinstall win7 on my computer, attempt to extract the files, save them under a different extension...though I understand even windows users have big problems with these backup file types
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

There are so many users who back up their data using the NTBackup Tool in Windows XP, then clean install/upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows Vista and later realize that Windows 7/Vista do not include the NTBackup Tool to restore data from the .BKF archive. If you have critical data contained in a NTBackup file (.BKF) and want to restore it in Windows 7, then this article is for you.
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/resto ... s-7-vista/

Note:- *.bkf really is only associated with XPs backup facility.
& That there is no - NTbackup installed by default in either W6 or W7.

so, it's a fudge to get those files - & under a M$ O/S - no less.

if the ext drive is big enough - extract those files from the *.bkf into the / of the ext hdd,
& then access those files, - from under 'nix.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Software & Applications”