Modify keyboard in lxde? Or, where is my XF86Config?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Modify keyboard in lxde? Or, where is my XF86Config?

Postby terceiro on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 pm

I recently installed LXDE onto my happily running Linux Mint 12 Lisa install. Running LXDE is a joy of speed and convenience, and not nearly as ugly as Xfce. I have only one major holdout (so far) and that is I can't figure out how to make my caps-lock key into an additional ctrl key.

It's easy in Mint 12 and Ubuntu 11.10 and even on Mac and Windows. But I'm stymied here.

I read online that I should add a line to my XF86Config-4 file (Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"), which would be fine except I can't locate my XF86Config-4. Running "locate XF86Config" returns nothing. "find XF86Config" also doesn't return any results. There is no such file under /etc/X11.

Nor is there an xorg.conf, either. I feel pretty silly at this point, because I simply can't figure out where else to look or what to try. I'm not a total newbie (well, I am to Mint: but I've been running *nix systems on and off for nearly twenty years now), but I'm scratching my head.

Can anyone tell me what has replaced XF86Config or xorg.conf, or, failing that, how to make my caps lock into another ctrl key in Linux Mint LXDE 12?

I am running the latest everything as of today (St. Patrick's Day, 2012) on an old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop (some 64-bit AMD chip and an Nvidia graphics chipset, I think. The machine was free and is plenty fast for LXDE if only I could put the ctrl where it belongs).

Many thanks, wise Mintians.
terceiro
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Others