How do I log into a "pure" Openbox session with LM12 LXDE?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

How do I log into a "pure" Openbox session with LM12 LXDE?

Postby gosa on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

HI All,

This might be a stupid question - getting used to that in an area where I feel I can keep learing more until I "check out" in x amount of years... :lol:

Anyway - I just installed LM12 LXDE in my netbook after having played with LMDE with LXDE on top for a couple of months. (I keep on hoping for an iso with the combination LMDE - LXDE)
Now, after tinkering with it for a couple of days - installing all the apps I want, setting up Cairo Dock instead of the LX Panel and so on I thought I'd see what I could do with this guide:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/374

But - even though I seem to have the right components installed, Openbox do not come up as one of the options on the login screen.
So... What is this noob missing? :oops:

Thanks in advance,
/gosa
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I log into a "pure" Openbox session with LM12 LXD

Postby nunol on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Running "sudo apt-get remove openbox" and "sudo apt-get install openbox" should solve the problem but perhaps there is better solution I don't know.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Postby 3fRI on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Openbox the the default with LM 12 LXDE? :?
System 76 Pangolin: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz, CrunchBang 11 Waldorf 64-bit
iMac 21.5: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz, dual boot Mac OS 10.6.8, CrunchBang 11 Waldorf 64-bit

It's never too late to learn something new.
3fRI
Level 4
Level 4

Postby nunol on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:50 am

Yes, Openbox is the default WM for LXDE and it's the one used in Mint 12 LXDE but doesn't have a entry in the login screen.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Postby gosa on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:09 am

nunol wrote:Yes, Openbox is the default WM for LXDE and it's the one used in Mint 12 LXDE but doesn't have a entry in the login screen.

Exactly, and I wanted the option to boot into something without all the "extra" lxde-stuff added... not for permanent use but for "practice" and learning.
I'll see if I try out your suggestion to remove and reinstall openbox later... right now I'm between internet companies on my landline leaving me with an android phone acting as internet connection/router so I have to wait a few days before I do anything. (One would think that changing from one provider to another would happen instantly, but that's not always the case in Spain.. :lol: )

Anyway - thanks for the advice!
gosa
Level 4
Level 4

Postby nunol on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:28 pm

gosa wrote:... I wanted the option to boot into something without all the "extra" lxde-stuff added... not for permanent use but for "practice" and learning.

I did a tuning howto for Mint 12 LXDE, should help a little with learning, take a look at the pdf file: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96465
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Others