Linuxn00b needs your help

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby Huesos on Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:59 am

After having used windows my entire life I've now decided to try something new and I am looking forward to the upcoming release of Bianca (which looks great by the way). I want to try having both Windows xp and Linux Mint installed at the same time though, that way I can get used to the new while still being able to go back to the old (for photoshopping and whatnot). Can you describe the process of installing Linux Mint into a computer that allready has Xp on it? Bare in mind though, I am not a programer nor have I ever had more than 1 OS at once, so feel free to treat me like a retarded person while explaining it to me. :P

Also, what filesharing program's do you use in Linux?

Thank you very much in advance.
/ Huesos
Huesos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby soulexposed on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:13 am

What you want to do is called Dual-Booting, and it's described on this site: http://www.hezardastan.org/breezy_xp_dualboot/en/. It's instructions for how to dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu, but it works the same for Linux Mint because Mint was built from Ubuntu. (Skip past the part descibing how to install Windows XP...) IMO it's easier to install Windows on one HDD and Linux on another, but you can partition a single drive and install both if you wish...

As for file sharing (between drives), Mint already takes care of that for you. :) There's a utility that comes with Mint called mintDisk which will automatically detect other drives for you. For P2P programs, all the standard ones work with linux (Azureus, etc).

I find this community to be really friendly, so hopefully it'll help to make your Linux experience a good one. I was recently much in the same spot that you are. I'm still a newb, but I'm learning a little more everyday (and everyday I get a little closer to dumping Windoze for good. ;)

EDIT: BTW, Google really is your friend here. If you're having any problems, chances are that somebody else has already had them and has posted the fixes somewhere on the net.
"Loyalty, trust, faith and desire
carries love through each darkest fire" - Octavarium by Dream Theater

soulexposed
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Huesos on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:26 am

Thankyou very much, the process seams complicated, but the guide is going to be helpfull. :)
Huesos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Huesos on Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Another question, if I decided to make the move to Linux Mint Bianca right away, would I have to uninstall Xp before the Mintinstallation or would Linux just override windows automatically during it?
Huesos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nick on Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:16 pm

If you wanted to overwrite the Window partition, assuming you have one disc you wiil be given the option to "use entire disc" when intalling
Make sure that is what you want to do, and you internet connection works under mint first, hard to ask questions with no internet :) :)
Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Huesos on Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:57 pm

True, thankyou for your help. :) I have 3 harddrives inside my computer though, will it ask me if I want to install Linux on all of 'em?
Huesos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Huesos on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:38 pm

Another question, when upgrading my computer with new hardware in the future, will it be complicated installing it when only using Linux?
Huesos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jml on Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:42 pm

Installing new hardware should not be a problem if you do your "homework" first. Not all hardware is supported by Linux, although things are getting better. When you decide to purchase new hardware, be sure to ask the vender if what you want to buy is supported by Linux. If they say no, then I would look somewhere else for your hardware. Also, this forum is a good place to ask about Linux compatible hardware before you buy anything. Generally, the problem usually occurs when you buy cutting edge hardware. Stuff that has been out for 6 to 12 months is usually well supported by the major distros. Good luck on your journey.

Joe
jml
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics