Deleting duplicate folders

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Deleting duplicate folders

Postby ChadHerman on Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 pm

I booted up Linux Mint 12, logged in and was surprised by a few changes that suddenly appeared. I went to run Thunderbird only to find that the icon on the side panel (the one that appears when you trigger the upper left-hand corner) was missing. I typed in the program's name and it appeared. I click on it and it asked me to set up a mail account. I started up Firefox to find that my add-ons were gone. I opened up the file manager and my Home directory had many folders with random alpha-numeric names with the word "crypt" in them. Most of the expected folders in the directory were missing. When I clicked on one, I saw it was .thumbnails/normal. I logged out and logged back in and found those folders gone and the normal folder layout was restored. The problem is I now have duplicates of the same folders. Attached is a screenshot showing a Bash listing of the Home directory. These duplicates do not show up in Nautilus.

My theory is that when I executed Thunderbird, it didn't see the ".thunderbird" folder (which was present, but with a different name), so it produced a new one as though it were executing for the very first time. I believe the same occurred with Firefox.

Assuming my theory is correct, the solution would require that I delete the newer duplicate folders to restore the previous state. How can this be done?
Attachments
Screenshot_at_2012-05-11_14-10-49.png
Screenshot of Bash listing showing duplicate folders and files.
Screenshot_at_2012-05-11_14-10-49.png (159.25 KiB) Viewed 418 times
ChadHerman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Deleting duplicate folders

Postby DrHu on Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Since there don't seem to be many copies ?
delete the copy that has the data you don't want..

If you want to test before deleting, simply move the one(s_ you don't want elsewhere, lets say a new folder on your desktop or under /temp; provided you don't reboot before satisfying yourself that you have the configuration (data) you prefer/want to use..

The fact that encrypted names appeared with the incorrect entries (your theory) means that somehow, you are running the whole desktop or home directory /home under private (encryption control)
--fix you choices for encryption, and maybe you wont get duplicates ? or at least you will be able to enter them (duplicates?) without any problem
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Deleting duplicate folders

Postby ChadHerman on Fri May 11, 2012 5:37 pm

DrHu wrote:Since there don't seem to be many copies ?
The fact that encrypted names appeared with the incorrect entries (your theory) means that somehow, you are running the whole desktop or home directory /home under private (encryption control)
--fix you choices for encryption, and maybe you wont get duplicates ? or at least you will be able to enter them (duplicates?) without any problem

Yes, I neglected to mention that I've got my Home directory encrypted.

I still don't know how I can access either folder duplicate. I'm fairly certain that the data I had is still present - just inaccessable for the moment.
ChadHerman
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics