Fan going crazy

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Fan going crazy

Post by antiquexray »

mico wrote:whenever I leave my machine unattended for a few minutes the CPU fan start cycling faster than usual (it makes noise), this is before the screen saver goes on.
I have an intel 64 bit dual core chip and my graphic card is installed and well.
I am not running anything else and get a really low CPU usage under the system monitor
what could cause this? , why does it start cycling fast anyways?
I remember something about this, but not much, it might be a Ubuntu thing. Why don't you post a message to jml, he's the one that told me about it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Fan going crazy

Post by scorp123 »

mico wrote:what could cause this? , why does it start cycling fast anyways?
Maybe a broken BIOS ... "broken" in the sense that whoever produced it (Phoenix, Intel, Award, VIA, etc.) did not stick to certain standards and Linux has troubles getting the right values out of it. So it could happen that Linux sees false heat values and assumes that the temperature is too high and that it needs to cool down the system ...

What brand is your PC precisely? And your motherboard? Try Googling around, e.g. "Your-PC-Brand +Linux +ACPI" or something like that.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

mico wrote:It's an abit NI8-SLI
one thing I don't understand is this, if the system has a problem detecting the real temp of the CPU why does the fan only start revving up after an idle minute?!
Do you have Beagle installed??? Could be that whenever your computer is idle Beagle's search functions fire up and search all your disks for stuff. This of course will cause a big CPU load and hence necessitate more cooling .... And that's why you think that your PC is "idle" when in fact Beagle causes it to work like a donkey ...

I personally never liked Beagle and I always uninstall it ...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

mico wrote:nautilus,nautilus CD burner and yelp all seem to be dependent upon
libbeagle0, I shouldn't remove this, right?
Search for "beagle-index" (e.g. in synaptic). Leave the libraries "as is", as you guessed correctly this would uninstall way too much. Maybe there is a way to disable the search service?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

mico wrote:is there any other software that does stuff I don't need on idle?
Well, best thing would be to keep watching. Look around if there is some sort of system load monitor that you could use and work with, e.g. one for GNOME if that is your desktop. Then keep an eye on the graphs. If the system load goes up all of a sudden you know that there is something around. Another thing that may cause the system load to go up are those fancy 3D screensavers, the OpenGL ones. I agree, they really look cool and all that, but I personally am more happy when I set my screensaver to something very simple, e.g. the plain analogue clock or just "blank screen". Those 3D screensavers can also put a high load on your system if you leave them on for too long.

Return to “Other topics”