HALT causing Monitor Problem?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

HALT causing Monitor Problem?

Postby nepmak on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:05 am

I am confused by the shutdown and restart procedure of Celena. When I apply the usual shutdown procedure, logging off and finding/selecting f.ex. the restart option no MINT splashscreen appears, but my TFT Flattron monitor goes black producing its message: video signal out of range (16 seconds to go).
I now assume that /init.d/halt plays a part in this, but I fail to find out how to correct this behavior.
What's a solution for this?
nepmak
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: HALT causing Monitor Problem?

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:14 am

I don't quite understand you - could you rephrase?
Topic moved to proper forum
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nepmak on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:21 am

Hola Husse, they say in Spain. The matter is simple, the solution though still obscure for me. Here we go: shutting down the computer from Linux Mint Celena. Press the button "power down computer". Screen goes black rather immediately, producing likewise immediately on the LG TFT L1810B its "menu screen" with the message "Video out of range (16 seconds)" the latter 16 counting down. How to get rid of that "Video out of range" warning screen?
Hence, this stems from the video signal during Restart and Shutdown operations. Hopefully this is clear for you. I thought it came from /init.d/halt, but I fail to find a solution! John (freezing in a too cold Andalucia)
Oops... This is NOT present from the LiveCD, where a neat log-off MINT screen appears and everything goes down calmly and orderly.
nepmak
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:05 am

To start with the easy bit
How to get rid of that "Video out of range" warning screen?

Hopefully not :) This is the monitor giving a message.... (at least I think so)
For the rest - the screen goes blank - so does my mind :shock:
I don't recall such a problem - some reports exist that the little "shut down sub menu" does not apperar can be found.
A bad install?
It works on the live CD you say
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nepmak on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:50 pm

Yes, Husse, it is the monitor that tells me immediately after invoking a log-off: "Video input signal out of range". I tracked this phenomenon somewhat this afternoon and searched Google. I discovered that the "new" Envy (if you will) NVidia driver for my FX5800 has to do with this, requiring 1024 x 768 at 60 Hz refresh rate. Things you can set with menu: System Tools->NVidia Settings. Nothing special. However: there also is a GNOME "Screen Resolution" preference setting in menu: System->Preferences which maintains 1024 x 768 at 50 Hz, not 60, which appears not available there. This 50Hz mode is not available for the card or the monitor and I now assume, that this may play some role or even could play a role. Hence I checked the best I could (and family permitting) all possible root files to read if any dealing with etc/init.d/ or etc/rc.d0/halt', also the X-files, was involved and a false entry could cause the appearance of a warning. I couldn't find one. The LiveCD exits orderly, the welldone installation exits orderly until Nvidia is changed for Beryl. Then logging off and shutting down generates the 'out of range' message. If you had any clou I would welcome it to hear. Demonstrating Mint to interested people now causes a "what's that?" question at the end. A cosmetic detail, yet nasty for its persistence...
nepmak
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:02 pm

NVidia Settings

Oh yes - they are a bad example of Linux at its almost worst
Don't use the settings on the main page - changes to xorg.conf as it destroys any special mouse or other settings you have.
And it must be run with sudo or better gksudo. Settings are not sticky (have not checked lately though) To get them sticky see my post in the howto section
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3908
If you don't use dual monitors there is a trick to get your vertical refresh rate higher.
But
someone else with a fx5xxx card experienced problems using this and I think his monitor got out of range
Issue xvidtune in a terminal and click cancel in the box that pops up
In the terminal you now have your monitors refresh rates.
I think you know where in xorg.conf to put these
Then for Section "Device" add
Code: Select all
Option       "DynamicTwinView" "False"

at the end - and voila, you get 60Hz
or a completely white screen which has to be fixed in recovery mode or a failsafe session
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nepmak on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 am

Husse! Morning. Amazingly clever!!! Problem solved...!
Yes, having worked for Barco (many years ago) that was "my domain" (xvidtune) - had I seen that before... The final step was exactly like you wrote! Many thanks, gracias!
BTW: having read much of MINT's files I find it even more welldone and it confirms my opinion that MINT is the better distro currently available. See also here:
http://my.opera.com/nepmak2000/blog/lin ... hy-and-how
John
nepmak
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:58 am

Aha - beauty comes at a price...
What you experienced if I read you right is that another Linux distro did not add Mint to it's menu.lst
In my experience it's (almost) only the Ubiqity installer for Ubuntu that does that
PCLOS don't give a sh-t about anything but Windows, so if you want to boot several distros you'll have to learn to copy between different menu.lst
Sad - but that's how it is...
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics