Question about symlinking

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Question about symlinking

Postby Gimasag3 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:36 am

I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post in, but anyway...I'm trying to install some Steam games on Mint so I don't have to log out and go to Windows whenever I want to game. I already have Steam installed thanks to Wine, but I'm reluctant to download every game that I have on Steam because of the time it takes and that it means I would need to expand my Linux partition. I ran into a page from VALVe about "symlinks" or symbolic links that somehow makes it so that the steamapps folder from Windows can be used on Linux without downloading games.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux#Save_space_on_dual-boot_machines
I've tried to use the first line of the code it says to use to symlink, but it gives me a file or directory not found error. When I add the (x86) suffix it says that the Program Files directory needs for 64bit computers, it gives an error with an "unexpected token *(*." I'm not even sure if I should use the suffix because my Program Files folder in .wine doesn't have a x86 suffix.

If I could get some help on the command I would use, that would be awesome.
Gimasag3
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Question about symlinking

Postby veggen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:20 am

This is the semantics of the given command are:

cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/ <-- Step into the directory where Steam is installed in Wine
mv steamapps steamapps.bak <-- You backup steamapps that alreasy exist in Wine
ln -s <ABSOLUTE-WINDOWS-DRIVE-MOUNT-POINT>/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps steamapps <-- You link steamapps from Windows to steamapps in Wine

The syntax is:
ln -s <path to wherever steamapps is in Windows> <path to wherever is steamapps should be in Wine>
you can probably use quotes to avoid escaping spaces (I'm not at my box, so I can't check this moment)

Example:

ln -s "/media/Win/Program Files/Steam/steamapps" "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps"

or just

ln -s "/media/Win/Program File/Steam/steamapps" steamapps
since you're already in the correct dir.

Now, if "x86" is needed or not depends on where Steam is in Windows, not in Wine.

P.S.
That same page you linked to says something about problems with Steam on ntfs-3g driver, I haven't read it carefully, but you should since you're most probably working with NTFS (thus with ntfs-3g) and it might be relevant.
veggen
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Gimasag3 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:59 am

cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/ gives me a "No such file or directory" error.

EDIT:I think the error you mentioned applies to if Linux is on an NTFS system. My Linux is on EXT, and I've had no problems with Steam crashing. I've been able to chat and stuff with only minor compatibility/rendering problems, so I think it should be fine if I symlink with steamapps. Also, I have Steam on Windows backed up so I can repair it if the need arises.

EDIT EDIT:Forgot to say this before, I'm running Katya if this is relevant in any way. I've been lazy and haven't upgraded yet
Gimasag3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby veggen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:53 am

Gimasag3 wrote:cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/ gives me a "No such file or directory" error.

Then simply give it the correct path. Use Nautilus or whatever to navigate to .wine folder and see where is Steam located (or check where the launcher/shortcut is pointing to).
veggen
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Gimasag3 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:05 am

I'm pretty sure it IS the right path.
File System>home>*user*>.wine>drive_c>Program Files>Steam, right?
I can get up to cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files before it says that it can't find "Steam."
I try to click Steam, but it says the link is broken. The link on my desktop works though. Should I copy the link from my desktop to the Program Files folder?
I have a folder named Steam.backup. Is this the one that I need to use, instead of the actual link of Steam that is there?
I bet these are really stupid and obvious questions...
Gimasag3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby veggen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Where's the link on your desktop pointing to?
veggen
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Gimasag3 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:02 pm

It goes to "user">.local>share>wineprefixes>steam>drive_c>Program Files>Steam
Weird. Maybe I should use that instead?
Gimasag3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby veggen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:01 pm

Yep, you should. It created a dedicated Wine prefix.
veggen
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics