Possible Security Flaw

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sapremias

Possible Security Flaw

Post by Sapremias »

I need someone to try this on their LinuxMint machine and tell me if this is just my machine or if its a security bug.

run a command with sudo and then control-c without entering your password when asked for it. e.g.

:~$ sudo touch /root/thisshouldnotwork

when asked for your passwd, simply do <CTRL-C>

you may have to log out and back in or open a new terminal window to get a sudo password prompt.

The result that I got on my system was root access. I was able to do a "sudo -s" and then <CTRL-C> pass the password prompt. The system gave me a root shell anyway.

Somebody tell me is this my system or a bug in SUDO that seriously needs to be fixed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: Possible Security Flaw

Post by McLovin »

it may just be yours, i just tried this and got the following

Code: Select all

sudo: pam_authenticate: Conversation error
Sapremias

Re: Possible Security Flaw

Post by Sapremias »

Did find part of the problem was that you have to have authenticated at least once with sudo. The next time that it ask you for a password you can <CTRL-C> pass the prompt. I've tried this now on 3 different systems, one of which was a newly wiped and clean install with updates applied.

Return to “Other topics”