Optimization Linux Mint ??

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crismblog

Optimization Linux Mint ??

Post by crismblog »

What programs should be deleted and the work must be stopped to consume fewer resources? The desktop is the MATE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Optimization Linux Mint ??

Post by xenopeek »

What is your primary focus, memory or CPU/power usage? You can disable some services if you don't need them, but it will mostly only save you some memory as services you already didn't use consume a negligible amount of CPU/power.

Here's a list to get started, probably there are some more services you could remove. This is from my quick-wins list :) Noting that I think it is a good idea these services are enabled by default, giving average users the best out-of-the-box experience (connectivity wise).

Some obvious services to disable to win some memory, if you aren't using them.
  • Open Startup Applications in the menu, disable services you aren't using. For example from this list:
    • Bluetooth Manager - only needed if you have bluetooth devices
    • Desktop Sharing - only needed if you share your desktop with others
    • mintUpload - only needed if you use it to upload files to servers
    • Print Queue Applet - only needed if you have a real printer, not for print-to-file
    • User folders update - only needed if you switch languages, and want your personal folders to be renamed each time you switch to a another language
    • Visual Assistance - only needed if you have a vision disability
    • Xhost + - only needed for making your X server (screen + keyboard + mouse) usable by other X clients, such as a program running on somebody else's computer showing output on your screen and reading input from your keyboard and mouse
    • Zeitgeist Datahub - GNOME's built-in spyware, or at least I don't know what other function it serves but to track what you do on your own computer
  • Samba + Avahi - Samba needed for file and printer sharing with other computers on the local network, Avahi for auto-discovery of services on the local network. You can disable either or both, if you aren't using those features: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 78#p476278
  • Modemmanager - only needed if you have a (USB) modem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=101010&f=42
  • Dnsmasq - only needed if you use VPN: disable by editing the file /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    and put a "#" in front of the line "dns=dnsmasq", so that it reads

#dns=dnsmasq
    Ctrl+O followed by Enter key to save the file, Ctrl+X to exit. Then do:

sudo restart network-manager
crismblog

Post by crismblog »

Thanks
igor83

Post by igor83 »

That was an enlightening post, thanks. I did the same thing on Windows XP, disabling about a dozen unnecessary services to free up resources. So I looked for info on how to do the same on what I view as the natural successor to Windows XP, Linux Mint.
joshg253
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joshg253 »

Great post, Vincent! I had already disabled most of those startup applications. ;)

I couldn't get online anymore (WiFi) after commenting out dnsmasq. Removed the hashmark and restarted network-manager and it works fine again.

For further optimization, I'm wondering if compiling a custom kernel would be worth it.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

If you're running debian, you can use the liquorix kernel, but I don't know if it works with Ubuntu.

Edit: there's some other stuff on this list - http://www.datamation.com/open-source/g ... ips-1.html

Return to “Other topics”