Why is there a symlink to kernel image in root?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Why is there a symlink to kernel image in root?

Post by marcus0263 »

This must be an Ubuntu thing, but why is there a symlink to the kernel images in root?

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    30 2007-02-17 11:29 vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-11-generic
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    30 2007-02-17 11:19 vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    33 2007-02-17 11:29 initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-11-generic
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    33 2007-02-17 11:19 initrd.img.old -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

This is how Ubuntu works but more basically this is how the livecd references the 2 files. /vmlinuz used to be the standard way a distribution placed their kernel.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Fragadelic wrote:This is how Ubuntu works but more basically this is how the livecd references the 2 files. /vmlinuz used to be the standard way a distribution placed their kernel.
Thought it must be an Ubuntu thing. Just curious why they just don't point "what ever" to where it's at /boot. I did notice that Ubuntu has screwed with the init levels too. Now this is a major pain! You know there are times when you need to bring the system up in multi user without X.

Also how do you break out of the boot splash to watch the boot process if needed? Normal protocol is either <esc> or <F2>

I tried a combination of things and I can't seem to break out of the bootsplash to watch the process's start up.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

They have gone to a new style of init called upstart:

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

I don't believe the bootsplash lets you out of it but you can always edit the grub entry on bootup from grub menu and change splash to nosplash and remove quiet. That will show you what you want.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Fragadelic wrote:They have gone to a new style of init called upstart:

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/
I'll check it out, thanks!
Fragadelic wrote:I don't believe the bootsplash lets you out of it but you can always edit the grub entry on bootup from grub menu and change splash to nosplash and remove quiet. That will show you what you want.
WHAT!
That's totally UNSAT!

You know there are times when you need to watch the boot process. Seems like there is an obsession of some Distro's to try emulate Microsoft and so called "keep the user shielded".
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Duplicate
Last edited by marcus0263 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Well, you know when you want to watch it and can just edit the grub boot menu before going in. I know its not a pretty solution but it works.

I personally hate bootsplash and graphical boot stuff. I prefer to watch all the kernel message go by the screen. Makes me feel like part of the matrix - lol.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Fragadelic wrote:Well, you know when you want to watch it and can just edit the grub boot menu before going in. I know its not a pretty solution but it works.

I personally hate bootsplash and graphical boot stuff. I prefer to watch all the kernel message go by the screen. Makes me feel like part of the matrix - lol.
Well I do like the bootsplash for systems I'm setting up for n00bs, I myself never use them. Besides, Mint's bootsplash is sexy!

But here, let me give you a scenario -

The system freezes while trying to boot, kind of handy to watch the process's and see what it's hanging before you break out a boot CD. Especially when you're talking to someone over the phone, just have them let you know what's blowing up while on the phone.

Like I said, not being able to do a simple <esc> to get to the boot messages is totally Unsatisfactory. Hell Fedora, SuSE, etc all have that ability.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

lol - you'll need to take that up with the Ubuntu devs.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Fragadelic wrote:lol - you'll need to take that up with the Ubuntu devs.
Yeah, one of the many reasons why I dislike Ubuntu.

As I posted in another thread, Ubuntu was a good base for Mint to start with. But as it matures into its own it does need to rebase, my vote is to rebase on Debian.

Cheers
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

The whole installable livecd thing is ubuntu.

Return to “Other topics”