See services at boot time

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

See services at boot time

Postby mintero on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:50 pm

Hi all,

here's my problem today: :)

I've uninstalled usplash and usplash-theme-bea in order to be able to see the activation of services and other processes at boot time (as I used to do with ubuntu) and I see nothing but the verification of the partitions (hda1 clean....etc)

How can I fix that, please?

Thanks in advance
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Fragadelic on Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Remove "quiet" from the /boot/grub/menu.list file for the section where your install loads.

You may also have to rebuild the initial ramdisk as follows:

Find out what one is currently being used:
ls -l /initrd.img

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 2007-02-10 00:16 /initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-11-generic

Then make a new one:

sudo mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-11-generic

Reboot and all should be good.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mintero on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:17 pm

Fragadelic wrote:Remove "quiet" from the /boot/grub/menu.list file for the section where your install loads.

You may also have to rebuild the initial ramdisk as follows:

I have verbose mode now just by removing "quiet". The problem is that Mint goes faster than ubuntu after booting and I can't read anything... :cry: (and not all services appear...)

I also rebuilded the initial ramdisk but it was not necessary, because nothing changed after that.

Thank you very much
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Fragadelic on Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm

The removing of the usplash may have already rebuilt the initrd when you removed it since it seems to be tied in with the initrd image.

After you boot up, you can check "dmesg | less" and it will show you what happened during bootup.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mintero on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:28 pm

Fragadelic wrote:After you boot up, you can check "dmesg | less" and it will show you what happened during bootup.

Thanks. This command shows events but not all services running at boot. I added /var/log/boot in System Log instead. So I saw all services and some of them were useless. :o
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other topics