defaults.list overwritten on (re)boot

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wonderdog

defaults.list overwritten on (re)boot

Post by wonderdog »

Still kinda new to Linux, have played with some different distros, this is my first go at Mint. Liking so far, but:

When I edit defaults.list, the file reverts to previous version when I reboot the computer. Keep reading for details:

I've been trying to get VLC to auto-play (or at least load) when a CD is inserted in the drive. No problem installing VLC and I managed to edit the mime-types through the GUI and also the defaults.list files (one in ~/.local/share/applications, the other in /usr/share/applications) but still nothing. I uninstalled the default player but it's still appearing in both versions of defaults.list (although mime-types appear OK).

I don't think this is a VLC issue -- the problem seems to be that I edit defaults.list, save the file, reboot and the file contents revert to prior content. I am definitely saving as I re-open the file after saving and my changes are present, they only reset when I boot. I am using sudo gedit defaults.list (also tried gksudo).

Anyway, Linux Mint 13 Maya on an Intel chipset, XFCE environment, all updates installed.

Incidentally, CD plays fine when i manually open it in VLC, just need it to auto-start

Your thoughts? Much appreciated, I'm really feeling sunk here...

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wonderdog

Re: defaults.list overwritten on (re)boot

Post by wonderdog »

This exact issue is fixed, but main problem still exists (will post somewhere else). Contacted another source which recommended making the file immutable (sudo chattr +i defaults.list) so that fixed up the re-writing, but still can't get the CD to auto load or auto-play.

Return to “Other topics”