Torrent

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Torrent

Postby antiquexray on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:41 am

I'm trying to be a good community member here and download a torrent, but the fact remains I'm having trouble getting it to work (do to my ignorance :oops:). Can someone post detailed instructions (or a link to an easily understood site) to explain how I can get this to work?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Alephcat on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:51 am

you need a torrent client first, I find utorrent to be a good one for windows, or Bianca beta had one installed as default (never got round to using it so do not know which one it was) not sure about Bea. If not then thisseems to be a fairly comprehensive list. Once you have done that you just need to downlad the small .torrent file and open it with the client
"To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due."
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby antiquexray on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Alephcat wrote:you need a torrent client first, I find utorrent to be a good one for windows, or Bianca beta had one installed as default (never got round to using it so do not know which one it was) not sure about Bea. If not then thisseems to be a fairly comprehensive list. Once you have done that you just need to downlad the small .torrent file and open it with the client

Thanks. Now, I've done as you've said, but when I get to the torrent file and click to download it I get the cannot connect error. Is it me? Is anyone else having this problem? Has the web traffic to the site overloaded the server??? What??? Help???
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby antiquexray on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:21 pm

Alephcat wrote:you need a torrent client first, I find utorrent to be a good one for windows, or Bianca beta had one installed as default (never got round to using it so do not know which one it was) not sure about Bea. If not then thisseems to be a fairly comprehensive list. Once you have done that you just need to downlad the small .torrent file and open it with the client

I've done as you've said, but it downloads LIKE REALLY SLOW. The read out says it will take 5 days.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

ratio

Postby jett on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:29 pm

depending on the seed to leech ratio of the file your downloading makes the difference between a fast or slow download.
try to find files that have a high seed count and a low leech count.
jett
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ratio

Postby antiquexray on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:59 pm

I guess I need a lot more education on torrent files. For now, I'll stick with just plain downloading 'cause I can do it faster. When I get smarter perhaps I'll switch. After all, I used a T3 line connection yesterday for and .iso and it took 15 minutes. Today I've tried the same T3 line with the torrent file and it will take over 2 hours.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

frostwire

Postby jett on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:22 pm

if your just doing mp3's and small files go with frostwire
but if you wanna download dvd's use BT
jett
Level 2
Level 2

Re: frostwire

Postby antiquexray on Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:26 am

jett wrote:if your just doing mp3's and small files go with frostwire
but if you wanna download dvd's use BT

I was talking about downloading Bianca. No kidding here, the download speed was 2 and 3 k per second. It told me it would take 5 days.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

UPNP

Postby cakehead on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Have you enabled UPNP on your router ?
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Try a guide

Postby metapy on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:53 pm

Downloading via bittorrent is a bit daunting at first. I'd recommend reading one of the many guides out there to get a basic understanding of what is happening.

One of the better ones I found by googling "bittorrent guide"
http://dessent.net/btfaq/

The reason your downloads are going slow is that bittorrent really, really likes to act as a server and that means you need to allow a path back into your computer for others to connect to you. If you are not in control of the connection (T3 at work or school) then you will have a very hard time doing this. In these situations it is best to simply use straight downloads or speak with someone who has setup bittorrents before and can assist you in the setup.
metapy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics