New features

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

New features

Postby easy1 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:58 pm

I am wondering whether Linux Mint looks only to release versions of Ubuntu for new features, or whether the unstable versions are also looked at? What about features from the debian 'grandparent'?

Specifically I'm wondering about the new installer available with Debian Etch. Once Etch is released, is it likely that Linux Mint may consider using it? The new partman-crypto looks very handy.
easy1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: New features

Postby mumbo719 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:58 pm

easy1 wrote:I am wondering whether Linux Mint looks only to release versions of Ubuntu for new features, or whether the unstable versions are also looked at? What about features from the debian 'grandparent'?

Specifically I'm wondering about the new installer available with Debian Etch. Once Etch is released, is it likely that Linux Mint may consider using it? The new partman-crypto looks very handy.

I bet you didn't check our wiki :wink:

Introducing Cassandra and Romeo

We've been talking a lot about Linux Mint 3.0. There's been rumors and speculations about its codename and we know how serious our users are about our releases names. So today we're announcing it officially: Linux Mint 3.0 will be called "Cassandra". Some of you probably already love it or hate it but since it won't be released before April-May 2007 this leaves some time for people to get used to it :)

Also making its entrance on the Linux Mint scene is Romeo, the heart-breaker. Technically Romeo will be our unstable branch. New packages and upgrades will first make their way into Romeo before being ported to the current branch (Bianca). This will ensure the current branch is more stable.

For instance mintMenu 1.10 (not released yet) would first be released in Romeo. Users who point at the Romeo repository would get the upgrade and post feedback on the forums. Once enough feedback has been received and the development team is confident enough about the quality of the package, mintMenu 1.10 would hit the Bianca repository and all users would then be able to upgrade.

The concept is a bit similar to Debian's testing and unstable branches. N-1 releases of Linux Mint (Bea) do not get mint upgrades (as in Debian stable), N releases (Bianca) get updates (as in Debian testing) only after they have been tested in Romeo (as in Debian unstable). The main difference between Debian is that our stable release is actually not the last one but the one before that. Also, we're not only upgrading in a Linux Mint perspective but also on top of an Ubuntu base which can change and release upgrades as well (adding some complexity to the whole thing).

get the whole enchilada here http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Linux_Mint_Newsletter_Issue_3
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Other topics