Linux Mint 13, or 14? Backports? HELP!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ham Radio

Linux Mint 13, or 14? Backports? HELP!

Post by Ham Radio »

Hi Everyone,
I need some help.
I am having a hard time deciding if I should Install Linux Mint 13 with backports enabled, or Linux Mint 14.

Right now I am using Windows 7, and would love to use Linux. I really like the idea of a LTS release, cause I figure that after a few years of security and bug fix updates, Linux MInt 13 would be a rock solid OS. However, I do also like having some access to the latest software, which is why I was really excited when I heard about how the Linux MInt team was backporting Cinnomon 1.6 to 13. (Thanks a lot!!!) So I guess my main question is, how long is Cinnamon and Nemo going to be backported to Mint 13? Are they stopping at Cinnamon 1.6.7, or are they going to backport future releases as well? Thanks!!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 13, or 14? Backports? HELP!

Post by palo »

Ham> maybe this quote from zerozero will help answer your question...
- "everybody" is now happy because mint backported some new shiny features into maya but probably (specially regarding cinnamon) this will be the last backport: the next stable cinnamon version (the one to include in the upcoming mint15) will rely on system lib that are too new for maya and a nightmare to backport
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83#p656183

If it were me doing a fresh install, it would be simply the latest/greatest.

Pat
Ham Radio

Post by Ham Radio »

palo wrote:Ham> maybe this quote from zerozero will help answer your question...
- "everybody" is now happy because mint backported some new shiny features into maya but probably (specially regarding cinnamon) this will be the last backport: the next stable cinnamon version (the one to include in the upcoming mint15) will rely on system lib that are too new for maya and a nightmare to backport
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 83#p656183

If it were me doing a fresh install, it would be simply the latest/greatest.

Pat
Hm, ok. Thanks for the advice!! I think I will just install Mint 14.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Either one could be suitable. Just note that 13 is supported till April 2017, while 14 is supported till April 2014. So, though 14 is newer and will offer you newer versions of many applications than 13 does, you will have to upgrade earlier. But at a certain point in time you will want to upgrade anyway, because though some applications are backported by the Linux Mint developers, most aren't. Improvements to Cinnamon, MATE, MDM, and Software Manager are backported from 14 to 13, but nothing else.

Return to “Other topics”