Forced migration from Windows XP

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Forced migration from Windows XP

Postby JackSchitt on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:10 am

A few weeks ago, January 30th, to be exact (everybody here should recognize THAT date as the date that Vista was released to the public), I swore a blood oath that my next upgrade would be either to Linux of some kind or to MacOS if it was available for non-Apple computers.

Earlier this evening, I received the much dreaded 'NTLDR is missing' message upon rebooting the system (it had had some interesting errors when reading a few files and I figured that some process was using them). This message is being typed from a live boot CD that I will be using until I can recover some source code from the harddrive.

I'd be very interested to know how to mount an unencrypted/uncompressed NTFS file system. I'm not sure if the drive is still functioning, but I am very interested in finding out if it does.

If you have any info on mounting/testing a harddrive and/or any info on recovering data from a hard drive, please reply here.

The live disk I'm running is Mint, though I also have a 64bit Ubuntu that I can use. I might have a spare harddrive that I can use, if needed, but I'd rather fix this quick and dirty without installing anything if possible.

I have a very good understanding of computers in general and a good understanding of Windows XP and .Net. My understanding of Linux is not where I'd like it to be. Telling me to mount a drive does nothing for me. Telling me to open a terminal, type mount -t... is what I'm looking for. (That's just about the only command I'm familiar with.)

If I'm able to get the project off my harddrive that I've been working on for the last six weeks, the person that helped me most directly will receive $20USD via PayPal.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
A very pissed off Jack Schitt
JackSchitt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby AlsaPhil on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:28 am

If I'm able to get the project off my harddrive that I've been working on for the last six weeks, the person that helped me most directly will receive $20USD via PayPal.
I remain speechless :roll:
AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

blah

Postby jett on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:57 pm

try using the securiy tools distribution, its a live cd that has tons of helpful stuff on it related to security and computer forensics.
http://s-t-d.org/
also try using nubuntu it also has many helpful applications
http://www.nubuntu.org/
jett
Level 2
Level 2

Try this it worked for me !

Postby cakehead on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:24 pm

1.) Boot your PC
Stupid I know ... you probably already did that

2.) Open a terminal
We will use it for a bunch of commands ...

3.) Unmount the partition in question
Code:
sudo umount /mnt/hdd1
This part should finish without errors ... If there is an error, stop here!

4.) Modify /etc/fstab
We become root and open an editor:
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

Change this line (taken from your posting) .... :
Code:
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1 vfat user,rw,auto 0 0
... into this:
Code:
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1 ext3 defaults 0 0

When done, save the file and close the editor. You should be back in the terminal and have your input prompt again.

5.) Format the drive
You make yourself root again and format the drive now:
Code:
sudo mkfs -t ext3 -L MyDataHDD1 /dev/hdd1
"MyDataHDD1" is a volume label ... you can leave this (incl. that "-L" parameter) away if you want. Depending on the drive and its size formatting might take a few minutes. If there is any error it should show up right there in the terminal

6.) Let's test this ...
You make yourself root again and try if you can mount the new drive:
Code:
sudo mount /mnt/hdd1
Because we entered all neded parameters into /etc/fstab the drive should be mounted without errors. Try if you can list it's directory:
Code:
ls -al /mnt/hdd1
cakehead
Level 2
Level 2

Postby OzTracker on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:08 pm

Had the same 'NTLDR is missing' message a couple of days back when I was messing around trying to add a 2nd linux partition to my existing mint and xp dual-boot.

If you still need to boot into windows, here is what I did.

Went to this site:
http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/fi ... issing.htm

on my laptop and burned the FixNTLDR.iso to cd. Loaded cd on broken pc and was able to boot into windows again.

Hope this helps. :)
OzTracker
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics