Tasteless One Liners in terminal - Bianca

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Tasteless One Liners in terminal - Bianca

Postby bin on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:39 am

Little gems like "You will be held hostage by a radical group" popping up when you start terminal :x

This kind of juvenile - and tasteless - stuff belongs in the dark ages!

bin
bin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Tasteless One Liners in terminal - Bianca

Postby antiquexray on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:42 am

bin wrote:Little gems like "You will be held hostage by a radical group" popping up when you start terminal :x

bin

Personally, I like them. As far a juvenile, all I can say is ththththththththth :wink: !
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Postby doubled on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:13 am

bin wrote:Little gems like "You will be held hostage by a radical group" popping up when you start terminal :x

bin

Here's how to get rid of them:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... tune&t=845
doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:36 pm

bin

Lighten up bin. The whole purpose of the fortune package is a joke and must be taken as such. Most jokes offend at least 1 person so you must think all comedy and joking has to stop because of this. Get over it. Its a joke and take it as such.

Taking things too seriously is the number one cause of making your sense of humour disappear.
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mintero on Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:53 pm

:D :D :D

Well, I have edited the files in /usr/share/games/fortunes and removed the long texts.
I would like to replace these lines with my own stuff but there are files in .dat with a multimedia icon and I dont know if that is feasible...
Does anyone know?
LinuxMint Bea
mintero
Level 2
Level 2

Postby crusti on Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:44 pm

bin

Bin, one of the first things I did was to removed fortune as per the instructions, it's very easy. While I understand your dislike for the fortune thingy, anytime one expresses a dislike for something on this board it's worth bearing in mind a few basic principles:

-- You get more bees with honey.
-- The Mint creators are in charge of what they do and while they encourage feedback and suggestions they can reasonably expect us to be polite about it.
-- There are quite possibly hundreds of linux distros to choose from, and there is something for just about anyone. You joined in November, so you've invested some time in this distro and that's good. (It's the most promising freely-available desktop linux going IMHO.) I can understand if the distro that's right for you (Mint) still has something that gets under your skin. If we dislike something, and we have the ability to change it, then it's up to us to change it and post instructions on how others may change it, then provide some courteous feedback to the developers to alert them to your position on the matter, for their consideration.
-- The developers are, primarily, creating something that THEY like, because that will keep them motivated. They ask us what we think because they're community-minded and are willing to listen to us.

Please don't think of this as a smack-down or anything, it's just that I've seen some rather terse posts lately, and I think that most people could use a reminder that using this forum is a privledge granted to us for our benefit. (Of course our bug reports help make the distribution more stable so the developers benefit too, but mostly it seems like a one-way street.) The developers obviously invest considerable time reading our posts and replying and helping. They need all the encouragement we can give them.

If anyone thinks I'm just being a suck-up, go ahead and disagree with something I've said. I believe in it.

crusti
crusti
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rlpw1011 on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:37 pm

The Fortunes are what keeps me constantly opening my terminal
rlpw1011
Level 1
Level 1

Postby trsnrtr on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:47 pm

antiquexray wrote:Personally, I like them. As far a juvenile, all I can say is ththththththththth :wink: !

I'm 56 and I bet I can be more of a juvenile than you. :lol:

I like them. Besides, they were also on my UNIX terminal a zillion years ago (1990); it reminds of my younger years. :)

Lastly, I'd like to figure out a way to put them in my email signature randomly like the terminal.
trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Suchetha on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:35 pm

If you think THOSE are bad, try enabling the Offensive lists.

lets face it, jokes are funny because they are crazy, offensive whatever. do you stop telling blonde jokes because blondes may find them offensive? or black jokes? or maybe irish jokes?

trsnrtr, the ONLY way i have managed to add fortunes to my sig file is to have a cron job that runs fortune > ~/sig.txt every hour or so.

i am not sure if there are t-bird plugins for it, but this always works
Suchetha
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Suchetha on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:38 pm

ask and ye shall receive, google and ye shall find, knock and the door will open, laugh and the world laughs with you and etc etc etc

https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/611/
Suchetha
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ambertone on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:56 pm

I think some of them are great, a little bit of humour is a wonderful thing!

Rod
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

today's fortune..

Postby lvshankar on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:01 pm

You'll never see all the places, or read all the books, but fortunately,
they're not all recommended.

:D

and this is for you, "You don't know how long you live. But you can be immature indefinitely"

~LVS
lvshankar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sorensei on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:41 am

rlpw1011 wrote:The Fortunes are what keeps me constantly opening my terminal

Yep. Me too. Never been much of a terminal user, but the fortune makes me smile and makes it look less hostile to the newbie I am... and I realise I'm using it more and more :D

So as far as I'm concerned, it was a nifty idea. And those who don't like it can disable it. :wink:
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Postby trsnrtr on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:01 am

Suchetha wrote:ask and ye shall receive, google and ye shall find, knock and the door will open, laugh and the world laughs with you and etc etc etc

https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/611/

Cool! Thanks!

Dennis
trsnrtr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby timmyflight on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:24 pm

If you disable these fortunes, a bird flying over will p**p on your head :D

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, and your house
Acts 16:31
timmyflight
Level 2
Level 2

Postby pr3@ch3r on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 pm

Fragadelic wrote:

bin

Lighten up bin. The whole purpose of the fortune package is a joke and must be taken as such. Most jokes offend at least 1 person so you must think all comedy and joking has to stop because of this. Get over it. Its a joke and take it as such.

Taking things too seriously is the number one cause of making your sense of humour disappear.

Listen to the canadian on this one. They know all about humor and how to pick and get under peoples skins. In fact, Ive been told that folks from Ontario STRIVE to be the quickest wits on the continent when it comes to joking and messing with folks ;)
You know what the RHCT certification means? I can break a Redhat server faster than you can.
pr3@ch3r
Level 1
Level 1

Postby arjay on Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:54 pm

bin

bin - just thought I would give you a bit of support. I entirely agree that many people will find some of the statements offensive and a few people will find many of them so. One or two got to me as well.

Some people seem to have a mission in life to go around being offensive - well that's their option I guess. However, I think that a distro that will go out to many people has to be a bit more responsible and sensitive to those who will read these statements.;

Of course the user can always vote with his/her rump and try another distro. But that would be a pity, would it not, if the distro was - like Mint - a very fine piece of work? It is true that the user could also remove the offending line in the bash file. However, if some people like to have the fortunes, then why not make it an installable option rather than a default.

lets face it, jokes are funny because they are crazy, offensive whatever. do you stop telling blonde jokes because blondes may find them offensive? or black jokes? or maybe irish jokes?

Actually, Suchetha - I have done exactly that. I probably told 10 a day until I worked in community and race relations for a couple of years. I soon found out the distress that constant repetition of sexist and racist jokes had on the recipients. There is a world of difference between laughing with people and laughing at them....

Perhaps enough said, though I doubt I have heard the last of it :wink:
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

NOT offensive list?

Postby 3rdalbum on Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:43 am

I thought the offensive list *had* been enabled! I just got "your sister swims out to meet troop ships" - if someone said that to me, I'd assume they were insulting me :-)
3rdalbum
Level 1
Level 1

Re: NOT offensive list?

Postby arjay on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:42 pm

3rdalbum wrote:I thought the offensive list *had* been enabled! I just got "your sister swims out to meet troop ships" - if someone said that to me, I'd assume they were insulting me :-)

Point made - if that is the quality of the inoffensive list, i don't think I'll go looking at the offensive one :cry:

RJ
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Uncle Bob on Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Personally I get offended by people that take offence so easily to anything and everything. To me they are all just spineless whingers that cannot cope with the real world and reality and therefore they serve no purpose in life, they are a liability and they weaken the gene pool. Furthermore their presence weaken our position at the top of the food chain. Thus, they should all be rounded up and then shot at dawn.

It is people like them that could cause Planet of the Apes to happen sometime in the future.

...rather be proud of your sister, she could earn a gold medal for swimming in the next Olympics, or could it be jealousy because she beats "you" to the troop ship? :wink:
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Other topics