Incredible kernel bug has forced me back to Mint 13

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Incredible kernel bug has forced me back to Mint 13

Post by catweazel »

This is an fyi, not a request for help. I was doing some development work in Qt Designer when, all of a sudden, completely out of the blue, the designer started to complain that it couldn't write various files because they were read-only. I rebooted and the same happened again about 30 minutes later. I fired up firefox and it wouldn't download files. I got home from work today and it happened again, about ten minutes after starting Mint Cinnamon 14.

My filesystem had randomly gone read-only. It's happening consistently now. First it's ok for a while then all of a sudden, wham, a read only home path.

The bug is here if anyone is interested: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1063354

I'm running from a flash drive at the moment and I'm about to switch back to Mint 13. Some poor unfortunates claim to have lost data. My data is ok as I do regular backups. If this does turn out to be a genuine kernel bug, it is, without doubt, the worst I've ever seen.

I've subscribed to the bug report so I know when to go back to Mint 14, which I adore with a passion. I encourage you to sign up to launchpad if you aren't already a member, and report the bug as affecting you. The more 'heat' gnerated the more likely we are to see a fix soon.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Incredible kernel bug has forced me back to Mint 13

Post by xenopeek »

From the bug report it seems to be restricted to users with Asus motherboards, can you confirm you also have a Asus motherboard?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Incredible kernel bug has forced me back to Mint 13

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote:From the bug report it seems to be restricted to users with Asus motherboards, can you confirm you also have a Asus motherboard?
No, I can't confirm it. I use Intel kit. While some people did say they had Asus gear, I didn't get the impression it was restricted to Asus, though some easily influenced people did seem to believe that.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Other topics”