Cant boot windows now that i have bea

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Cant boot windows now that i have bea

Postby rat on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:31 am

Good day,

First off, i am liking linux Mint. Great job. It is nice running 200mb of ram instead of 800 for vista. Much faster when browsing the web.

But i do have an issue. I cannot seem to boot windows. I have my data backed up, and have tried my recovery disk, and the vista disk. It gets stuck though.

I have linux on my second hard drive, windows on the first. I am able to go and see everything by mounting the windows partition. I didn't alter my windows partition when installing either.

Laptop: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... aultAnchor

Any help would be appreciated.
rat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby manishk on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:45 am

Do you see Windows in the GRUB menu?? Where exactly does it get stuck??
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rat on Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:53 pm

manishk wrote:Do you see Windows in the GRUB menu?? Where exactly does it get stuck??

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, windows is in the grub menu.

I have since upgraded to Bianca, but this didn't change anything.

I get the bars that move at the bottom with the Microsoft copy write. Then it goes to a c:/ prompt for an instant, that goes away and i get a blue screen with a pointer. I get the same thing with the vista cd, and with my recovery cd. It just sits at this spot.

I found some things with a search that indicated that i should run chdisk, but i wasn't able to get to a screen that lets me do that. When i put an xp cd in i am still unable to do this, but that may be due to it being from my old computer. It didn't recognize any hard drives, perhaps it didn't have the proper drivers.

Fortunately Linux is running well, so this isn't a huge issue, but i would like to fix it.
rat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby manishk on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:49 am

Hmmm..I'm not sure of the solution. But if you want to run chdisk may be you can use boot disk/floppy for Windows...that'll bypass GRUB.
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Other topics