switching close/enlarge buttons to the left side ofwindow

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

switching close/enlarge buttons to the left side ofwindow

Postby blacklinux on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:21 pm

I recently saw someweher and cannot find How to switch the buttons of enlarge and reduce and close on all of the windows to the left like OS X as opposed to the right.

since i work all macs and the 1 linux new laptop I'd love to be able to sitch them to keep them more consistent for me.

does any one know is this will work in Ubuntu too?

can anyone please help me out and please be clear- I am absolutely new to linux and Know zero command line so be clean and explicit please.

thank you.
blacklinux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby blacklinux on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 am

any clues please? I did a search and my question keeps coming up - nothing else. I do remember seeing a post here last week - Maybe Clem asnwered it. I looked but I cannot find it.
blacklinux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby |_NiGhTmArE_| on Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:15 am

if you use metacity it's very simple
open gconf-editor then go to apps->metacity->general
now just edit button_layout
|_NiGhTmArE_|
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blacklinux on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:28 pm

I apologize, I am new to linux. I was told that if you run ubuntu and in this case Mint that you are using metacity. Is that correct? or do i have to load this somehow? I am confused - sorry.
blacklinux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby |_NiGhTmArE_| on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:26 pm

Metacity is the standard window manager of gnome... so if you don't have installed another window manager do the procedure on the previous post

to open gconf you may open a terminal and then do this:
Code: Select all
gconf-editor

if you have other qestions we are here :)
|_NiGhTmArE_|
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blacklinux on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:52 am

Ok thank you.

just a follow up - so if I install another 'engine' gtk? or whatever else there is....not sure at the moment what the others ar called....then you cannot just use anything from the category of each engine or extension that you have loaded but have to define and pick which engine is in use everythime? I am sorry for the confuson....
blacklinux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby |_NiGhTmArE_| on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:11 pm

blacklinux wrote:Ok thank you.

just a follow up - so if I install another 'engine' gtk? or whatever else there is....not sure at the moment what the others ar called....then you cannot just use anything from the category of each engine or extension that you have loaded but have to define and pick which engine is in use everythime? I am sorry for the confuson....

I don't understand what are you trying to say :?
don't make confusion between window manager and the toolkit used for creating gui (such as GTK+, Qt, ecc...)
metacity is a window manager based on gtk+ 2
|_NiGhTmArE_|
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics