Screen shot problems.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Screen shot problems.

Postby caz on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 am

I've stumbled across a new problem and after several hours of searching have yet to find the answer.
I thought I'd give the Cinnamon desktop a try out - was using Mate - but found that it couldn't take a screen shot. I found that I needed to install Scrot which I did and made a new screenshot shell script which I placed in my home folder. I then fired up the terminal entered the command "Scrot" and a screen shot was made and stored in my home folder - not in the pictures folder as many forum posts suggest. The screen shot included a picture of the terminal window so wasn't much use. I then tried to alter the .config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml: by changing these settings...
<keybind key="Print">
<action name="Execute">
<command>/usr/bin/screenshot.sh</command>
</action>
</keybind>
but the " .config/openbox " files doesn't exist.

I have installed openbox and am running Mint 14.
Any thoughts as to what the problem is much appreciated.
caz
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Screen shot problems.

Postby rich2005 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:53 pm

you will need to add a delay then minimise (not close) the terminal

eg for 5 seconds

scrot -d 5

To see all the options in terminal

man scrot

some options listed for changing save locations etc.

are you sure that some of the other screenshot apps do not work, maybe shutter & I know it is KDE but try ksnapshot

edit: just to see if it worked this is ksnapshot in an old (somewhat broken) acer a110 LXDE netbook. Works fine and only pulled in a couple of dependecies. http://i.imgur.com/oGjLWjm.jpg
rich2005
Level 3
Level 3

Postby caz on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Thanks. Rich. I tried the delay for scrot and that works fine.

I had a look at Shutter and Ksnaoshot but for both of them there was a long list of additional stuff to be down loaded which amounted to about 150mb for either programme, also there was a warning about some of the files not being authenticated, I thought it best to leave them alone and not install.

I'm going to switch back to Mate and see if I can find some info on customising it, the only reason I tried Cinnamon was because I liked the look of the menu and the fonts look smaller, although for some reason they are listed as the same size in Mint and Cinnamon. I've had some success with Conky and am quite keen to try out some more of the coding required to change the scripts - if that's the right term.
caz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Akiviri on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Maybe I'm not understanding something here - but good ol' PrtScn' works for me, and the images go directly into photos. Cinnamon 14.
Akiviri
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caz on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Akiviri wrote:Maybe I'm not understanding something here - but good ol' PrtScn' works for me, and the images go directly into photos. Cinnamon 14.

PrtScrn works fine for me when I use Mate, and the image is left on the desktop after printing. But for some reason it doesn't work with Cinnamon for me, I've also see a fair few posts from other people with the same problem.
Looks like it might be a bit of a random bug that only affects some peoples versions of Cinnamon, bit of a mystery all round I'd say.
caz
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Other topics