Mint 14 Shutdown Freeze

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kartright

Mint 14 Shutdown Freeze

Post by Kartright »

Hi Community,

I've issued the following problem with my Sony Vaio VPCSB4M9E/B notebook:
I shutdown or want to restart, and I get a freeze/hang. I manually need to restart with pushing my On/Off button.
But it starts correctly and i can use LINUX.

Please help me! :|

Kartright
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 14 Shutdown Freeze

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Kartright.

In order to analyze what is going on during shutdown:
  • When you want to shutdown do not use the Mint menu item.
  • Instead use <ctrl><alt><f1> in order to switch to pseudo console terminal no. 1.
  • Logon.
  • Run

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -h now
    when asked to give your password, do so. The shutdown procedure will start and write status messages to the screen.
If it worked as designed the last message which you might be able to read would be something about "[power off]" and the same moment the screen would be switched off, same as the whole machine.

In your case, however, the expected behaviour is that the shutdown procedure will not be able to power off the screen and the machine. It would be really helpful to learn the last messages which are written to the screen before the machine stops doing anything (and you would normally press the power button).

The same steps as explained above can be used, too, for rebooting the machine. All you have to change is to launch

sudo shutdown -r now
instead of

sudo shutdown -h now

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Other topics”