Screen keeps freezing, scrambled graphics

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlackSnowflake

Screen keeps freezing, scrambled graphics

Post by BlackSnowflake »

Hey guys! I have a bit of a problem.. My screen keeps freezing when doing stuff that's (sort of) heavy on my graphic's card, like playing a game or watching a video in HD.
Also, sometimes my graphics get scrambled randomly. The parts that get scrambled also appear to be random.
My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForge 440 GT.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: Screen keeps freezing, scrambled graphics

Post by homerscousin »

Maybe the card is getting tired. BGA solder connections deteriorate over time and with repeated heating, cooling cycles. Do a net search about baking a graphics card in your oven to reflow solder joints. It can work if this is the problem. I'd only try that as a last resort before actually buying a new one.
BlackSnowflake

Post by BlackSnowflake »

I don't really think that's the problem...
I really think it's something having to do with Linux Mint as I did not have the problem on Windows.
Also, I forgot to mention that if I use a different driver (from the additional drivers thing) I do not have the problem (at least, I think so, but I have only tested this for a short period of time as I have problems with OpenGL when using a different driver)
Jamesc359

Post by Jamesc359 »

First thing I'd check is the video cards temperatures while playing a game or watching a video. The easiest way is to play a game in a window and run nvidia-smi -l on a terminal in the background. Just move the terminal around so you can see the temperatures, then watch and see if there's any correlation between the corruptions and the temperature.
Wdisharoon

Post by Wdisharoon »

I have just installed Mint yesterday and thus far I am enjoying it. I did have it on thumbdrive which was fine. I'm very surprised with Linux. Thank you.
I have also had my screen freeze. It happened when I was attempting to change environments. It happened similarly when I was using Spotify - Spotify still played and I could access the icon on the system bar.Though, there has been a graphics problem: I'll call it the 'old duct tape left behind' look. Its always in the lower right of a window.

Spotify otherwise works great as does YNAB my budgeting tool. Firefox extensions work too.

Thanks
WDisharoon

Return to “Other topics”