Safe to remove Windows hibernation file using Mint?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CyberAly

Safe to remove Windows hibernation file using Mint?

Post by CyberAly »

Hello,

My installation of Windows 8 recently corrupted, so I burned a Linux Mint 14 live CD so that I could attempt to retrieve the important data before doing a system refresh. However, when I attempt to mount the hard drive in linux I get this error:
Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/mint/D206DB5906DB3CE3: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sda2" "/media/mint/D206DB5906DB3CE3"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is hibernated. Please resume and shutdown Windows
properly, or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount option, or
mount the volume read-write with the 'remove_hiberfile' mount option.
For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g -o remove_hiberfile /dev/sda2 /media/mint/D206DB5906DB3CE3
My question: Is is safe to remove the hibernation file? Will removing that file potentially thwart my attempts to recover Windows once I try to boot it again?

I know that this is primarily a Windows question, which won't be your area of expertise, but the error appears in Linux and i'm not sure if I can disect it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Safe to remove Windows hibernation file using Mint?

Post by AlbertP »

Mounting with remove_hiberfile is safe. Windows will simply boot normally, instead of resume from hibernate.
You may have to create a new hibernation file in Windows if you want to hibernate Windows again afterwards: for Vista (7/8 too, I think) right-click Command Prompt or cmd in the Start Menu > Run as Administrator, then run: powercfg /hibernate on. On Windows XP, you can instead re-enable hibernation in Power Management in Control Panel.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Other topics”