Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Postby Tarzaan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Jose Manuel wrote:Linux Mint 13 (LTS) has some excellent Five (5) Years of fantastic support in all editions .... Best regards.



I would be happy if this support contains the possibility to play youtube videos and other thing wich requires adobe flash, because the current mint plugin for 32bit Xfce is a useless crap.
Tarzaan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Location: Magyarország - Hungary

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Huh!? Some YouTube videos are "currently unavailable"..

Postby Tarzaan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Dis93 wrote:Youtube works fine on Linux Mint 14, just tried it. Please don't spread FUD.
I don't know what he cause was but it wasn't the fault of LInux.
You say some videos are unavailable.
Perhaps it was some geo-locking.
Could you provide some links that don't work for you and where you are globally.



I have the same problem with Mint 13 32bit Xfce. The mint's flash plugin is almost useless since I install the system. both with Firefox and Chromium, and I can't find better with the systems aviable program/application list (I don't know the english name of that).

The other thing what I didn't understand that the users whay didn't able to intell applications in a windows mode (just run the exe or other file).

For example watch this:
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I can download it, but - because I'm a newbe - I don't kknow what should I do with this.
Tarzaan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Location: Magyarország - Hungary

Re: Huh!? Some YouTube videos are "currently unavailable"..

Postby Tarzaan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:03 pm

elverion wrote:Try going to http://www.youtube.com/html5 (replace .com with your country code if needed) and opt-in to the HTML5 test program. In my experience, the HTML5 videos work much better (lower resources, runs smoother on older machines, and best of all is NOT Flash!). The only real issue I've had with it is that full-screen video doesn't prevent screen savers, locking, or the monitor from powering off.

Not all Youtube videos are available with the HTML5 viewer, but maybe it'll help.


Thank you. My mothers older computer is the problematic machine, so I will try it when I go to her. But in other Linux versions (Mint 13 64bit Cinamonn & Kubuntu 13 64bit) youtube and flash seems worx well, but this mint version has problems since it exists.

PS: sorry for my english.
Tarzaan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Location: Magyarország - Hungary

Re: Maya 13 Xfce LTS - how long is the support

Postby eanfrid on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Tarzaan wrote:
Jose Manuel wrote:the current mint plugin for 32bit Xfce is a useless crap.
Which one ? "flashplugin-installer" is the one to install nowadays.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
User avatar
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:49 am
Location: FR

Re: Maya 13 Xfce LTS - how long is the support

Postby Tarzaan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:10 pm

eanfrid wrote:
Tarzaan wrote:
Jose Manuel wrote:the current mint plugin for 32bit Xfce is a useless crap.
Which one ? "flashplugin-installer" is the one to install nowadays.


Hi again!

I uninstall the problematic mint-flashplugin to change to that (flushplugin-installer), but when I try to play youtube videos, nothing happen. I restart my PC, but still nothing. I do all of this with the recommended way - by the Software Manager.

(Now i write from an other machine/op system - as I wrote earlier in an other thread).
Tarzaan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Location: Magyarország - Hungary

Re: Maya 13 Xfce LTS - how long is the support

Postby karlchen on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Tarzaan wrote:I would be happy if this support contains the possibility to play youtube videos and other thing wich requires adobe flash, because the current mint plugin for 32bit Xfce is a useless crap.
Note:
The question asked and answered in this thread was: How long will Mint 13 xfce be supported? The answer is: until April 2017.
Support in this context merely means that Mint 13 xfce will get all the available software updates in the same way as the other editions of Mint 13.

If you experience a problem which might be caused by the mint-flashplugin then you should create a dedicated thread for your problem, instead of highjacking a totally unrelated thread.
By the way, the mint-flashplugin is the same on all editions of Mint13, there is no special mint-flashplugin for the xfce desktop.

Karl
User avatar
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3774
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am

Re: Maya 13 Xfce LTS - how long is the support

Postby Tarzaan on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:49 pm

karlchen wrote:
Tarzaan wrote:I would be happy if this support contains the possibility to play youtube videos and other thing wich requires adobe flash, because the current mint plugin for 32bit Xfce is a useless crap.
Note:
The question asked and answered in this thread was: How long will Mint 13 xfce be supported? The answer is: until April 2017.
Support in this context merely means that Mint 13 xfce will get all the available software updates in the same way as the other editions of Mint 13.

If you experience a problem which might be caused by the mint-flashplugin then you should create a dedicated thread for your problem, instead of highjacking a totally unrelated thread.
By the way, the mint-flashplugin is the same on all editions of Mint13, there is no special mint-flashplugin for the xfce desktop.

Karl


Hi!

There are a decided thread, and the problem with the mint-flashplugin is not new, it exists for a long time without a stabil solution. That doesn't seem me a real "support". Because Adobe flash has a major role in current internet, and people who use computers spen a lot of times surfing on the web, so this problem is a very important problem. That's why I wrote here.
Tarzaan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Location: Magyarország - Hungary

Re: Maya 13 Xfce LTS - how long is the support

Postby karlchen on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:25 pm

Hello, Tarzaan.

Fact is, nobody is going to read a thread titled "Maya 13 Xfce LTS - how long is the support" when they are looking for threads about Flash problems affecting Linux Mint. Therefore you are writing in the wrong thread.
You reported your problem in the thread Huh!? Some YouTube videos are "currently unavailable"...?. Why not stick to that thread? Crossposting the same complaint in different threads will not help you get a solution faster.
Moreover you are beating the wrong dog. The flash plugin is proprietary code made by Adobe. If it is buggy, it is Adobe whom you should blame.

Karl
User avatar
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3774
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am

Re: Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Postby zerozero on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:09 pm

topics merged: same OP, same subject.

Tarzaan
can you provide some hardware information from the computer that has the issue with flash?
to do so, open a terminal and post here the output of
Code: Select all
inxi -Fxx
Image

[ bliss of ignorance ]
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6489
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Postby karlchen on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Hello, Tarzan.
Tarzaan wrote:I have the same problem with Mint 13 32bit Xfce.
Which problem in detail? Can you please either explain a bit more in detail or give us two or three Youtube links which give us a chance to reproduce the problem which you experience.

Tarzaan wrote:The mint's flash plugin is almost useless since I install the system. both with Firefox and Chromium
The genuine mint-flashplugin does not work for you on your Mint 13 system.
Alright. Let us take this for granted, though I suspect that "not working" only means "does not play certain Youtube videos" in fact.
I bet you will be able to see a ton of advertisements on a ton of webpages which use flash animation without any hassle and without realizing that you do see flash animations.

Tarzaan wrote:and I can't find better with the systems aviable program/application list (I don't know the english name of that).
Well, basically if you want Flash, there is only Adobe Flash.
If you take the pain and search carefully, here in this forum as well, then you will find out that you can get the Adobe Flash plugin in either of three ways:
  1. The Flash plugin package which you will find pre-installed on Mint 13/14 is named mint-flashplugin-11.
    To tell the truth, for an unknown reason the mint-flashplugin-11 software package will always be less up-to-date than the latest Linux version released by Adobe.
    This is why in this forum, too, people are advised to uninstall the software package mint-flashplugin-11 and replace it by either #2 or #3 (see below)
  2. The most recommended way of getting the latest available Linux version of Adobe Flash is by installing a software package named flashplugin-installer. As the name suggests, this software package will pick up the current Adobe flash player and install it.
  3. The third way of getting the latest available Linux version of Adobe Flash is by installing either adobe-flashplugin plus adobe-flash-properties-gtk or adobe-flashplugin plus adobe-flash-properties-kde
Obviously, the easiest way of keeping Flash up-to-date on Mint is by taking the second approach: install and use flashplugin-installer.

Tarzaan wrote:The other thing what I didn't understand that the users whay didn't able to intell applications in a windows mode
On all Linux distributions the vast majority of software packages can be received through centralized software repositories. No need to find the different webpages of the different software producers and download the software packages separately. Software installation and software updates for all software can be done with the help of one single controling programme:
e.g. with the help of Synaptic Package Manager (Menu => System Administration => Synaptic) or the Software Manager (personally I prefer Synaptic, reason: better control on what is going on)

This approach is different from Windows. But who said that the existing Linux distributions should try to be like Windows? If you want Windows, use Windows, nothing wrong with it. If you run a Linux distribution, do things like they are done on Linux.


A note on the term "Latest Adobe Flash version available on Linux":

The current Adobe flash version available on Windows is 11.7.700.202 at the time of writing this.
Adobe does not offer anything newer than the Flash series 11.2.x for Linux. They apply security patches, but they do not add new features to the Linux flash player software. Therefore the most recent Flash version for Linux is 11.2.202.285.
(There is 1 exception to this rule: the Google browser Chrome brings along its own Flash plugin on Windows and on Linux, and Google makes sure that it is as up-to-date as the Windows flash version.)
The difference between 11.7.700.xxx vs 11.2.202.xxx of course implies that Flash on Windows can do a few things which Flash on Linux cannot do.
It is Adobe who decided to stop developing Flash for Linux, not the Linux makers.
So if you should come across Flash based content which can be displayed on Windows, but not on Linux, remember to beat the right dog, not the Linux (Mint) makers.
(Honestly, I have not yet had such an experience. But maybe this is because I rarely watch Youtube videos.)


Back to your failing Youtube videos:

Tarzaan, if you did not just want to express your frustration, because on Mint 13 your flash player refused to play certain Youtube videos, but if you would like to receive advice how to solve the issue, then you should definitely feed us with some hard facts, like error messages which you read and two or three links of Youtube videos which cannot be played.

Kind regards,
Karl
User avatar
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3774
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am

Re: Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Postby Tarzaan on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am

Hi!

So I try to start from the beginning - and sorry for my english.

A bit more half year ago I start to search a linux distro wich is faster than the XP for my mothers 11 years old computer. In a hungarian forum some advanced linux user advice me the Mint 13 Xfce 32bit. It has low hardware requirements and long time support + they said it's easy to use/set-up, wich is important, because my mother is not familiar with computers + I'm a newby with linux too.

So there were some problems with flash/youtube earlier too, but then I can solve it with just a "clik" (after a warning I can allow to run the out-of date verion), but since some days I couldn1 use youtube.

The technical data of the PC (Aida64):

CPU: AMD Athlon XP, 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+
Motherboard: Asus A7A266 (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 1 AMR, 3 SDR DIMM, 2; ACPI BIOS Revision 1012
Memory: 1280 MB (DDR SDRAM) --> 1GB+256k, 233Mhz
ATI Radeon 9250 (RV280) 128MB
ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE controller
SAMSUNG SP1213N (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

So it's not a new one, but she use it only for surfing on the web & watch non HD movies sometimes.


So, abot the flash problems.

With

mint-flashplugin-11
Adobe flash plugin 11
Verziószám: 11.0.1.152


http://postimg.org/image/hs0zbp0cd/

Text: This add-on is vulnerable, you need to refresh it.


With

Adobe-flashplugin
Adobe flash player plugin version 11
11.2.202.285-0precise1

http://postimg.org/image/uew43wljb/

No text, just a white "screen".

With Chromium:

http://postimg.org/image/qklcp1awj/

Text: this video is currently not aviable
(like this: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=135563)

a "normal" news page:

http://postimg.org/image/qq5ge515d/
Text: To load Shockwave flas was unsuccessfull


So I tried it with Firefox and Chromium, but neither of Adobe-flashplugin and mint-flasplugin works.

I ask in a hungarian forum how it's possible to try to install the flash from Adobe's website (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/), because there are downloads for Linux, but some member suggest to search the place of the place/folder of the plugin and replace it manually from the file downloded from Adobe's page, but i can't overwrite it, and others suggerst to not force it, because I may collapse the whole system, so I stop trying.

So I ask here too: haw can I solve this problem? Is it possible/suggested to try to install some of the file from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ , if it is, how exactly I do it? Or just wait for some mint updates or what?


I hope I wrote every neccesary information about this problem.

T


PS: in my own PC there are a Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit as a spare OP system without this problem.
Tarzaan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Location: Magyarország - Hungary

Re: Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Postby karlchen on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello, Tarzaan.

Thank you for illustrating the various flash problem which you experienced and still experience.

About your mother's hardware:
No warranty given. Yet, I think it should be powerful enough to run Mint 13 xfce without being extremely slow.
About the graphics card in particular: It should be powerful enough to play Youtube videos. Yet, I would not bet that all videos can be played in best quality or full screen. Videos can be really greedy with respect to graphic resources.

Side note
I am running Mint 13 xfce on a small Zotac "pizza box" with 2 Atom dual core processors. The Nvidia graphics card uses 128 MB of shared RAM (fixed size). Watching videos on this feeble box is not a pleasure, because neither the CPUs, nor the graphics equipment are powerful enough. (You find my technical specifications below my post, if you like.)



mint-flashplugin-11 [...] Text: This add-on is vulnerable, you need to refresh it.
Starting with Firefox version XX (do not remember which one exactly) Firefox refuses to run any outdated plugins, because there are malicious exploits around for too many popular plugins like Flash and Java.
Solution:
+ Uninstall mint-flashplugin-11
+ Install flashplugin-installer and get the current Flash plugin release for Linux, v11.2.202.285

As we read, you have already done so. Great! :) - Adobe-flashplugin 11.2.202.285-0precise1, that is the one which can be found on my Mint 13 xfce system as well.
Yet, the video you tried, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JcAkzKpLOs, can be watched here without any hassle.
Are you sure it was not just a temporary problem?
(Note: I used Firefox, because I have never installed Chromium.)

a "normal" news page: [..] Text: To load Shockwave flas was unsuccessful
If I understand the web address correctly, then it is http://www.index.hu and I can open it without any complaint about my flash plugin. Near the bottom of the page, there is flash video, and my Mint 13 xfce, Firefox, Flash 11.2.202.285, plays it without any problem.

To sum it up:
The 2 webpages that give you Flash problems work fine on my Mint 13 xfce, Firefox, Flash 11.2.202.285.

So the question arises:
Are you sure that your flash player plugin has been installed correctly? You can verify so by going to this Adobe webpage: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/. If it states "You have version 11,2,202,285 installed" then your flash player has been installed correctly.

In case this webpage says something different, gives a different version, does not detect flash in your browser at all, then something must have gone wrong when removing mint-flashplugin-11 and installing adobe-flashplugin.
In this case, close your browsers, Firefox and Chrome, open Synaptic and uninstall and re-install adobe-flashplugin one more time.
Then try your own sample webpages again.

There is no need to download Flash 11.2.202.285 from the Adobe webpage http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and install it manually. It is the same Flash plugin which you can get from the Mint repositories - how has been explained in my previous post.

HTH,
Karl
---
Screenshot when watching flash video on http://www.index.hu
Image
(Video on http://www.index.hu)

Screenshot when watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JcAkzKpLOs
(Sorry. Had to remove the screenshot. When I posted it there was a green square in the screenshot where in the webpage the Youtube video was playing fine. The green area does not really illustrate that I am actually seeing the video. So I have removed the screenshot again. - Maybe using a different programme to capture the screenshot will help. We'll see ...)

---
Code: Select all
$ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: unimatrix0 Kernel: 3.2.0-45-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.10.0 (Gtk 2.24.10) Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: N/A model: N/A Bios: American Megatrends version: 080015 date: 10/09/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Atom CPU 330 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) bmips: 6400.32
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.081 MHz 2: 1600.081 MHz 3: 1600.081 MHz 4: 1600.081 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA ION VGA bus-ID: 03:00.0
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: ION/integrated/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 304.88 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: NVIDIA MCP79 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:08.0 Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:25:d3:eb:5e:c8
           Card-2: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: d080 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:01:2e:2b:26:c2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 160.0GB (3.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HM160HI size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID: / size: 48G used: 5.5G (13%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 5.42GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 159 Uptime: 44 min Memory: 375.3/1759.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced local screenshot file with link to upload on imgur.com
User avatar
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3774
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am

Re: Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Postby karlchen on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 am

Hello, Tarzaan.

Any update on your problem?
In case it has not been solved, yet, you might follow moderator zerozero's advice and post the output of the commandline
Code: Select all
inxi -Fxx

Kind regards,
Karl
User avatar
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3774
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am

Re: Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Postby Tarzaan on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:19 am

Hi karlchen!

Than you for your help, but I wans't in my mother's place in the past few days - that's why I didn't check this topic till now - but if I go (maybe tomorrow) I will try what you suggest.

Till that just some notes:

Are you sure that your flash player plugin has been installed correctly?

I do it with the software manager. The was no warnings or things like that. I repeat it several times (to change between theflash plugin and mint plugin).
Tarzaan
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm
Location: Magyarország - Hungary

Re: Problems with flash Mint 13 xfce

Postby robert-e on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:46 pm

I had this same problem (regarding flash) on my older amd desktop. I don't recall the details, but the problem ended up that the last few version of flash required a processor operand that was not available in the older processors. I banged my head against the wall for almost 6 months, before I found the problem in some obscure google result. I can't even remember what I did to resolve this, but I think it was to install the last version of flash that worked...something in the early flash 11 series.
Hope this sheds some light on the problem, as I note that his mothers computer hardware is somewhat older.

Regards,
Bob
robert-e
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:38 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests