Can I edit MintMenu?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can I edit MintMenu?

Postby NiksaVel on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:55 am

First of all, a big HEY ALL!

This is my first post on the forums, and I have been a happy user of bianca for over a day now :) I've switched from edgy... and I must say that so far I am completely and utterly impressed with Linux Mint... it seems to be JUST the thing I was looking for.

I especially like the mint* proggys that REALLY improve the overal functionality, especially the mintConfig...

I have, however some problems with the mintMenu:

Is there a way to increase the delay time for mouseover? It would be really helpful because I am not quite sure that this new version improves much on the functionality than the previous clickable version... I keep accidentally selecting another program group...

The most important problem I have with mintMenu however is customizability...

1. I would like to change some things.... I don't need automatix sitting alone in System Tools dir... I could move it to accessories and remove that dir alltogether...

2. Wine directory seems screwed... It got created, but inside.. there is ... WOW - AUTOMATIX again :) looking at the regular gnome menu I can see my wine programs normally.

3. For whatever reason I cannot launch Brasero from the minuMenu... I have had good experiences with Brasero in the past and would like to continue using it, but when I click Sound and Video/Open Project - NOTHING AT ALL HAPPENS. Once again, it works normally in the regular gnome menu...

The final question... does LinuxMint contain every codec I need or od I need to install something from automatix?

thanks in advance, and once again GREAT DISTRO, I am already recommending it to everyone...[/list]
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby manishk on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:12 am

Heres the answer to question #1

Try this Preferences>Menu Layout, here you can pick and choose what you want to see in your menu.

Menu Layout can also be launched from mintConfig (under the Desktop tab).

And Mint comes with almost all codecs, theres no need for Automatix.

As for mouse-over delay and Wine menu is considered in mintMenu, even I would like to know that. Pls help
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby NiksaVel on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:40 pm

Ad 3.

I also can not launch Frostwire and Gyachi via MinMenu... both work okay from the regular gnome menu....

anyone else having these issues/solution?
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Postby timmyflight on Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:37 pm

I had a problem with not being able to open frostwire from the mint menu too, when you clicked on it, nothing happened. So I just created a desktop launcher from /usr/bin/frostwire and that works just fine

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, and your house
Acts 16:31
timmyflight
Level 2
Level 2

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:24 am

I know I could do it like that.... (even though I prefer less icons)... I just thought I should point it out so it gets fixed...
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can I edit MintMenu?

Postby Bunny on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:23 pm

NiksaVel wrote:...
2. Wine directory seems screwed... It got created, but inside.. there is ... WOW - AUTOMATIX again :) looking at the regular gnome menu I can see my wine programs normally.

Sub-menus don't seem to work in mintMenu yet, they just takes whatever is above them (lemme guess, Automatix is last in the system tools menu :D ).
Bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NiksaVel on Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:17 pm

yeah...

Also... while I have mintmenu as target :twisted: sometimes I experience a second-two second delay between clicking on the bianca button and opening of the menu... also never experienced this with the regular menu... it also seems to happen only occasionally and randomly
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Other topics