new to linux and mint need help badly!!!

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Postby scorp123 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:45 am

blacklinux wrote:you are a freaking joke and a real jerk!
Look who's talking :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby mumbo719 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:55 am

Don't feed the TROLLS!
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mumbo719 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:59 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Trolls can be existing members of a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, more often than not based on what they thought was said rather than what was actually said by the other person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. The key element under attack by a troll is the forum or group's hegemony. Hegemony refers to the recognized and agreed upon power structure of the said group or community. To this extent, a troll does not necessarily have to make malicious or incorrect comments. For example, a person with political point of view A who approaches a forum frequented by people with political point of view B, may be considered a troll, even if no lies or attacks are made.

A person who retaliates (using whatever means) as a result of a misunderstanding (or as a way of rebelling against the overzealous application of rules) is not a troll. A troll is a person who approaches a board with the specific intention of destroying a forum's hegemony, either with no particular motive or provocation in mind, other than to be purely destructive or if the motive or provocation is against the ethos of the board. For example, a neo-nazi approaching a Jewish forum with the intention of attacking the members, purely because the neo-nazi knows the forum to contain Jewish members, may be considered a troll. A Jewish member of the said forum, who becomes angry with the neo-nazi and breaks the rules in gaining revenge against the neo-nazi, and who is subsequently banned and who then begins to rebel, is not a troll.

The general element, that determines whether a malicious user is a troll or not, is the level of indignant emotions present in the person, coupled with the person's history with the forum or group. An indignant user who has had a previous normal relationship with the group is not a troll, even if the user uses methods of attack that are characteristic of a troll attack.
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby scorp123 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:52 am

blacklinux wrote:you are a freaking joke and a real jerk!
Talking about jerks and jokes ... That person "oldone" on the Ubuntu Forum and you here have a remarkable resemblence e.g. posting chaotic rubbish, being rude towards those who try to help, use of the word "notta", laptop brands they tried Linux on, chaotic approach to fix their problems by reinstalling 3+ times (as if that would change anything?). Another resemblance being that the people started to ignore "oldone" and even closed some of that guy's threads:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=ae0f900b1ddfc438036193fcf8ffb882&p=2144249#post2144249

More posts:
http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?s=ae0f900b1ddfc438036193fcf8ffb882&searchid=15660601
I would thus assume that "oldone" and you are the same person? :lol:

Good luck finding anyone who will help you :D

EDIT: slightly malformed URL corrected. Search results added.
Last edited by scorp123 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby metapy on Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:06 am

scorp123 :
oldone and blacklinux both waited eight years before trying linux and bought new laptops. I bet a shiny quarter this is the same person. You'd think after two forums he'd realize the problem is with him, not Ubuntu. Next he will be popping up on the Mepis forums. ;) Nice detective work...
metapy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby scorp123 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:28 am

metapy wrote:Nice detective work...
Well, it's not really a big deal, I just used the search function and searched for "notta" and "laptop" ... and guess whose postings I got? :lol:

Maybe we should warn our brethren at the Mepis forums? :D

Also very entertaining: In the private message to me he claimed to have an academic title "PH.D." ... as far as I understand this is "Philosophiae Doctor" and a person has to demonstrate the ability to do original research on an University level in order to obtain such a title? Wouldn't you expect that someone with an academic background and such a title knows how to approach problems in a calm and analytic manner? And I'd also expect a certain 'niveau' from a person with academic doctor titles? Well ... he sure demonstrated his 'niveau' or rather the absence thereof :D

But it's good to know that the US troops in Iraq and Afganistan are in such good hands ... taken from this posting:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?s=3d9a2d665bd984bf9e02cafcc8c1c20b&p=2195276&postcount=2

"I work with a lot of US military from majors to colonels to special ops and chopper pilots, and I hear and know of the horror that is Iraq and Afghanistan."

Yeah, it probably takes the guts of a special ops dude and nerves of hardened steel in order to not go crazy when this guy is around you, crying like a baby because it is "imperative" that after waiting 8 years sound and wireless work right-f***ing-now ...

Ooops ... I maybe shouldn't have written that. Now he will send me those black helicopters to come after me ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby clem on Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:00 pm

After "interpol", ladies and gentlemen, here comes "distropol" ! :)
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby scorp123 on Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:44 pm

clem wrote:After "interpol", ladies and gentlemen, here comes "distropol" ! :)
Talking of which, when can I expect that the spy backdoor, DRM and biometric scanner modules I asked you about in our super secret IRC meetings get integrated into Mint so I can spy on the others here?? :evil: Project "mint-spy". I really don't see myself using the "search" functions of every distro's forum until some useful info pops up ... And besides: Consider it a "compatibility" issue! Most people here are used to Windows, so not giving them spyware to worry about will frustrate new users. :twisted: Really, how am I supposed to do my spy job otherwise? Like that we'll get notta notta notta :D

PS: just in case anyone takes this serious: it's a joke. Really :D

:lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby clem on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:38 am

Hi Scorp123,

We should have mintSpyware ready for Cassandra.. right now we're too busy developing mintDRM, mintVirus, mintMessGconf and mintFragmentHDD.

;)
Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby npap on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:53 am

clem wrote:Hi Scorp123,

We should have mintSpyware ready for Cassandra.. right now we're too busy developing mintDRM, mintVirus, mintMessGconf and mintFragmentHDD.

;)
Clem

Hello! could you please announce the probable release date? I am bored not having to debug, defragment and de-louse my PC. :D

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby clem on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:27 am

It's too early to announce any release date yet, but if you really can't wait for this we suggest you use a version of Microsoft Windows in the meantime.

Clem
:roll: :lol:
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby npap on Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:38 am

Of course! I could kill my boredom by hunting for spies in my Win. 2K.
Did you hear about the guys who are trying to crack Vista?
What do you call these fellows who are wasting their time to do this?
In my country they are called nut crackers.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby clem on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:31 am

They should be paid by Microsoft. After all, very few people will actually "buy" Vista. They'll either buy a computer with Vista pre-installed in it, or they'll get it free for their existing computer thanks to their friends who burnt them a cracked version.

When you think of it, the only way to get into companies is to seduce the employees... have your OS run in their home first and then have these guys ask their boss why they're still using 2k or XP at work. Since these people are not going to pay for it, the fact that it's just been cracked is the best news that could happen to Microsoft.

--> Their home audience is going to get bigger (everybody will install Vista at home now that it's cracked/free.

--> The companies will never take that risk and after their employees are "used" to Vista (that way they don't need to pay for the learning curve) they'll buy the licenses.

So Microsoft gets the money from the companies and a vast community of users thanks to the crackers.

I say these guys are doing a huge favor to Microsoft, they should get paid :)

Seriously, isn't that the best business model they could have? And whatever they say about it and how politically correct they can be, piracy is a very positive thing for them.

Clem,
very opinionated on that.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby mumbo719 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:02 pm

clem wrote:Hi Scorp123,

;)
Clem

I may have to switch to the U.S. Mint. This sounds so expensive 8)
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Other topics